Trying to get more kick from my Bose MB-4

Putting the subs on stage should give you a nice hole in the response owing to boundary cancellation (from the stage-to-floor distance). Subs should be within 2 feet of, or at least 8 feet away from any boundary (floor, ceiling, wall).

Putting the subs on stage should give you a nice hole in the response owing to boundary cancellation (from the stage-to-floor distance). Subs should be within 2 feet of, or at least 8 feet away from any boundary (floor, ceiling, wall).
Keep in mind that the sub involved has four 5-1/4" drivers, so there is not going to be a huge amount of very low frequency energy involved. If the subs are on stage then the stage floor will likely act somewhat as a boundary while if the sub is under the stage then the underside of that floor is also a boundary. So looked at that way, putting the subs on stage could potentially eliminate some boundary cancellation.

Re: Trying to get more kick from my Bose MB-4 ... Follow-up

I first want to thank everyone who posted comments, professional opinions and food-for-thought ideas on my problems, I also want to apologize to museav for the incorrect info on my part. Seems although the "company" spec'd Canare 4S11 Star Quad Stereo Speaker Cables on their bid sheets back in 2009, they actually used Canare 4S8 Star Quad Speaker Cable 16 AWG. I tried to contact them but was left with a sinking feeling at the "...this number is no longer in service..." message. Oh well, we have what we have. Pulling the subs out of there hiding place below the stage made a huge difference in clarity and power. I knew about boundary issues, so I placed each of them 12 inches back from the stage lip 6 inches in from the proscenium. I then used two small desks that straddled the subs (perfect fit, luckily). On the desks (about 28 inches off the floor) I put a Yamaha BR-15 on each side and plugged into them a Yorkville Pulse 10 set on top (all borrowed). I powered this with a Mackie 1400 amp and a Art 355 EQ and ran that side fill system from sub-masters 3 and 4 of the Onyx mixer. It took me a while to get the balance right so the side fills added sound rather than just overwhelming the Bose system and I'm sure that added some of the bass punch that was missing as well. I RTA'd each system and then tweaked things a bit, adjusting side to side angle and elevation angle of the side fills. Luckily I have several great unpaid high school interns who "...don't mind readjusting speaker angles for the tenth time in an hour..." I used a pair of Yamaha SM-12's each, for monitor mixes 1 and 2 and one Mackie 300i each, for monitor mixes 3 and 4. The whole thing really sounded good despite it's cobbled together appearance. A few people even said it's one of the best small venue concerts they've seen, loud enough but not too loud to smash the clarity. (I know a few of them well enough, they would have told me it S@*ked, if it really did.

All in all, it was a great night, I hope to post some pics soon.

Again, thanks to everyone for helping me think this one through. Those subs are never going into hiding again!!!

Re: Trying to get more kick from my Bose MB-4 ... Follow-up

Glad to hear it all worked out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back