Loudspeakers Small to medium-sized PA mains

Les

First off, I would like to thank everyone for your response to my "Amp Advice Needed" thread. I really learned a lot and ended up with what I think is a very usable QSC GX3 300w x 2 amp. Now, I'm shifting my focus toward speakers.

I recently did a wedding gig with my GX3 and two Peavey SP2XT's and everything went great. I got lots of compliments on the sound, and everything worked as it should. However, I really need to downsize my speakers. The SP2XT's barely fit in my car, and they kill my back. I listed them on Craigslist and I have a potential buyer coming by to check them out on Saturday.

As much as I would LOVE to stick with 15" mains, I should probably downsize to 12" mains, because of size and weight restrictions. To compensate, I'd like to add a subwoofer or two; possibly powered by a QSC GX5.

So far, here are some of the speakers that are on my radar:
(Note that I would like to continue driving my mains with the QSC GX3).

Two Peavey PR12's for mains (driven by the GX3) and one or two Peavey PR SUB's, driven by the potential GX5. These speakers all get good reviews on Musicians Friend and Harmony Central, but even with my success with the SP2XT's, I am still a little weary of the Peavey brand (based on what others say). I do love the price tags on the PR series though...

Two OSP SF12's used in conjunction with undecided sub(s). I had never heard of this brand, but they were recommended by a fellow CB member and he raved about them.

Two JBL JRX112M's used in conjunction with unknown sub(s). Mixed reviews on these, but I like the idea of going with JBL's. They are at the top of my price point at around $250-300 each. Unfortunately I'm on a pretty strict budget.

Two Yamaha S112V Club speakers and (?) sub(s). Mixed reviews on these also, but they're right in the middle of my budget, and they're Yamaha -- usually a GOOD thing.

I do all types of gigs. Some are indoor and intimate, and some are outdoor and spread out. I will never need to fill a football field with earth shattering bass, but it would be nice to be able to provide a decent-sized outdoor space with good sound at decent volume levels. Think - the size of a tennis court. That was about the format of my last outdoor event, which was a wedding. It sounded good and was about as big as I currently want to get.

Thus, I need something that I can tuck in to a corner or under a table for those indoor gigs if need be, yet still give good sound and hold their own, even if they find themselves outside. The Peavey SP2XT's had way too much 'physical presence' for most anything inside unless it was a large room. I hate to give them up, but they destroy the backseat of my car.

So, if any of you guys have advice, recommendations, horror stories, etc; I'd love to hear them! My price range is about $300 a speaker, and my power requirement is 300w per speaker. I'm open to suggestions on subs also - I'd prefer something passive. I really like the Peavey PR series. Talk me out of it if that is a dangerous thought process. If you have anything else you would like to add to my radar, please feel free. For example, I haven't checked out Mackies yet.

Thanks!!

Edit: Notice that I have omitted crossovers, EQ's etc. As far as EQ's go, I can't trust myself NOT to screw one up -- besides I'm not that picky (YET) and neither is my customer base -- YET. Crossovers, well, I don't know much about them. I'd love to just be able to plug my subs and mains in to my amps with no worries. The QSC GX series is supposed to be "sub-ready", I guess meaning that there is a switch for bridged mono. I figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it as subs and an additional amp are still several months out for me. The mains are fairly immediate, however.

Last edited:
You might want to take a glance at the EAW JF series. I have two JF60's functioning as a center cluster for vocal reinforcement only and it works great. They really pack some serious power into a small package. The JF80's also sound great and put out even more sound. If you don't think they will cut it, the JFX series will. They are pricey, but your back will thank you later. Might be worth the extra cash.

EAW - Speakers - Small Format

The PR12's are okay, but I think they need EQing. Granted, this may be due to the shape of our space. You will need a good sub with these speakers, though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:
Putting speakers under a table will make certain audience members hate you. With this configuration, it will be very loud for the people nearest the table, and much quieter farther away. Remember that people absorb sound rather well. Thus, regardless of the speakers you have, stands can often help even out the volume.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:
Putting speakers under a table will make certain audience members hate you. With this configuration, it will be very loud for the people nearest the table, and much quieter farther away. Remember that people absorb sound rather well. Thus, regardless of the speakers you have, stands can often help even out the volume.

It is, but you argue with a bride and let me know how that turns out for you.

I have two SP2Gs (Almost same thing as the SP2XT) And I feel for you, they are very heavy and bulky.
I have moved to a B52 Matrix 1000 system for my DJ Rig, which if you wanted a powered system I would suggest the Matrix 2000 System, 18inch sub, and two cabs with 10'' satelites and one inch horn. ~1800 Watt amp. (The 1000 has a 700 Watt amp with a 15'' Sub and the mains have 8'' satelites.)

As for passive speakers I am not too sure.

I know your own a budget so this might not work for you but if you wanted to know, I got my 1000 V1 sstem used for $500. The 1000 V2 System is ~$800 new. The 2000 system is ~1400 new. But its a powered system which is always nice for DJing. And the sound is exceptional for the price. Mind you all I have for processing in this system is a little Behringer mixer and a Behringer 'Sonic Ultramizer', Its just a cheap enhancer.

It is, but you argue with a bride and let me know how that turns out for you.

Haha! Very, very true.

By 'table' I really meant "makeshift dj booth" which I often encounter - which usually consists of a 6' folding table draped with some tricot or something of the like. That would be a worse case scenario in a very small space, much like a recent gig I did in a community clubhouse. A lot of the music was mood music for the reception. If space permits, I much prefer the "tucked in a corner on a stand" scenario.

Thanks much for the suggestions guys!

Out of the ones you mentioned I have used the JRX112m and the Yamaha S112V. We are a mostly JBL company and have 14 of the JRX112m's. We use them mainly for monitors, but they often end up doing speaker on stick setups, which they do quite well. They're lightweight (also a priority for me) and sound pretty good. For the money I haven't come across anything better.

Mains-

One of the first things to think about may be the speaker pattern. If you tend to encounter long, narrow rooms than you may want a narrower horizontal pattern, maybe 60 degrees or so, to help keep the sound aimed at the listeners rather than at the walls. Similarly, a wider room may necessitate a wider horizontal pattern, perhaps 90 degrees or more. Many people in similar positions to yours use 60 degree boxes that can be arrayed together, although this requires more boxes it means that they can use a single box for narrower spaces and two boxes arrayed together for wider spaces.

The vertical pattern may also be a factor. If you are placing the speakers under a table then you may want a greater vertical pattern so that you still get sound up from the speaker. Conversely, if the speakers are on stands at ear level and you're in a 'live' room, you may then want a narrower pattern to help keep sound off of low ceilings, etc. Put simply, a box with a very wide or vary narrow vertical pattern may be great for specific applications, but less flexible in their use.

Think about whether there are times you might want to use the mains without subs. A two-way box with a 12" woofer may be a very good choice for use with a sub or alone for vocal/speech applications, but it may be more limited in potentially being used for music without subs.

I have not heard the OSP SF12 speakers but the specs they list on their web site raise some red flags. For example, a specified sensitivity of 97dB, +/-3dB when sensitivities are usually a single number without a range. A claimed frequency response of 49Hz to 20kHz when this is meaningless without a range provided (perhaps this is where the +/-3dB should have gone, although I doubt it actually offers that level of performance). A "RMS" power rating of 300W and a Peak power rating of 600W when the test standards for define a 6dB or 4X difference between the continuous ("RMS") power and peak power. The same issue with the 119dB continuous (at least they got the terminology correct here) and 122dB peak maximum output levels. Again, I have not heard these speakers but the specifications presented make me rather dubious about the quality of the product and the credibility of the manufacturer, although it could just be poor translation between a manufacturer in some other country and the distributor here.

You mentioned the JBL JRX112M and the Yamaha S112V. It at least looks like the Yamaha model most comparable to the JBL JRX112M is the SM12V and that the Yamaha S112V is more comparable to the JBL JRX112MI. I say this based on it being a trap box versus a dual purpose main/floor monitor box. I don't know if you had a preference for one or the other, many people go with the dual purpose version with the idea that they can serve as monitors if they ever upgrade their mains in the future.

Subs-

Do you have any specific size and weight goals or limitations?

Does any of the music you play require reproducing extremely low frequencies? Did the SP2XT speakers provide sufficient bass response?

General-

Think about how the subs and mains will be physically used. Would subs and mains that incorporates a pole stand cup so the main can be mounted directly over the sub be beneficial?

There has to be some crossover if you use subs and this can affect your overall system configuration and amplification. There are two common approaches in your situation. One is a subwoofer that has the crossover built into it, you run from your amp to the subwoofer and then from there to the associated main with the subwoofer providing a low pass speaker signal to itself and a high pass speaker signal output for the mains. This approach uses a single amp but the sub and main have to work together and when used together may provide a different impedance to the amp. The second approach is to use an external crossover that splits the high pass (main) and low pass (sub) line level signals to the associated amplifiers. This approach provides much greater flexibility but with additional complexity and cost.

The crossover approach used may also affect a decision on an EQ. If you used the passive crossover approach with the crossover integrated into the subwoofer then you are stuck with whatever sub to main balance results. With matched subs and mains that may not be a concern but if you use Brand A sub with Brand B main or even two models from the same brand and line that are not specifically intended to work together, then you may end up with an imbalance between the sub and main levels. In that situation an EQ could be very beneficial.

Thanks for the very detailed response, museav!

Mains-

One of the first things to think about may be the speaker pattern. If you tend to encounter long, narrow rooms than you may want a narrower horizontal pattern, maybe 60 degrees or so, to help keep the sound aimed at the listeners rather than at the walls. Similarly, a wider room may necessitate a wider horizontal pattern, perhaps 90 degrees or more. Many people in similar positions to yours use 60 degree boxes that can be arrayed together, although this requires more boxes it means that they can use a single box for narrower spaces and two boxes arrayed together for wider spaces.

The vertical pattern may also be a factor. If you are placing the speakers under a table then you may want a greater vertical pattern so that you still get sound up from the speaker. Conversely, if the speakers are on stands at ear level and you're in a 'live' room, you may then want a narrower pattern to help keep sound off of low ceilings, etc. Put simply, a box with a very wide or vary narrow vertical pattern may be great for specific applications, but less flexible in their use.

I tend to find myself in a very wide variety of venues, but I will probably need to focus on a wide dispersion. Since I've done a few outdoor gigs as well as a few indoor gigs with lots of area, I think that will be the most efficient choice for me.

Think about whether there are times you might want to use the mains without subs. A two-way box with a 12" woofer may be a very good choice for use with a sub or alone for vocal/speech applications, but it may be more limited in potentially being used for music without subs.

If I can get subs that are small and light enough, I probably won't hesitate to take them everywhere with me. Assuming for a second that I was going to get two Peavey PR 12's and two Peavey PR SUBs (15" woofer), I shouldn't have any problem with putting the full range speakers in my trunk and the subs in my back seat. I may be doing some small theatre productions also, and that is about the only case in which I may not need subs. The group I work with tends to perform in 'found' theatre spaces and they like an audience of 65 max. Small wedding receptions may not need subs either, but for those the music is normally not that loud.

I have not heard the OSP SF12 speakers but the specs they list on their web site raise some red flags. For example, a specified sensitivity of 97dB, +/-3dB when sensitivities are usually a single number without a range. A claimed frequency response of 49Hz to 20kHz when this is meaningless without a range provided (perhaps this is where the +/-3dB should have gone, although I doubt it actually offers that level of performance). A "RMS" power rating of 300W and a Peak power rating of 600W when the test standards for define a 6dB or 4X difference between the continuous ("RMS") power and peak power. The same issue with the 119dB continuous (at least they got the terminology correct here) and 122dB peak maximum output levels. Again, I have not heard these speakers but the specifications presented make me rather dubious about the quality of the product and the credibility of the manufacturer, although it could just be poor translation between a manufacturer in some other country and the distributor here.
Thanks for the info. It may very well be a 'lost in translation' situation. Apparently the products are manufactured overseas and imported to us.

You mentioned the JBL JRX112M and the Yamaha S112V. It at least looks like the Yamaha model most comparable to the JBL JRX112M is the SM12V and that the Yamaha S112V is more comparable to the JBL JRX112MI. I say this based on it being a trap box versus a dual purpose main/floor monitor box. I don't know if you had a preference for one or the other, many people go with the dual purpose version with the idea that they can serve as monitors if they ever upgrade their mains in the future.

I don't really have a preference, but I don't need it to be multipurpose. Even with the theatre shows I do, I doubt I would need them as monitors.

Subs-

Do you have any specific size and weight goals or limitations?

Does any of the music you play require reproducing extremely low frequencies? Did the SP2XT speakers provide sufficient bass response?

As long as the speakers are under two feet tall and around 35lbs, I should be fine. The SP2XT's sounded pretty good without subs, but they definitely would have done a better job with a set. Especially in the outdoor gig I used them for. I don't have an immediate need for heavy bass, but a little punch is always a good thing to have in reserve.

General-

Think about how the subs and mains will be physically used. Would subs and mains that incorporates a pole stand cup so the main can be mounted directly over the sub be beneficial?
Going back to the Peavey PR setup, I would have the PR12's on stands, and the two PR SUBs sitting somewhere on the ground/floor. Possibly right in front of the mixer table/DJ booth.

There has to be some crossover if you use subs and this can affect your overall system configuration and amplification. There are two common approaches in your situation. One is a subwoofer that has the crossover built into it, you run from your amp to the subwoofer and then from there to the associated main with the subwoofer providing a low pass speaker signal to itself and a high pass speaker signal output for the mains. This approach uses a single amp but the sub and main have to work together and when used together may provide a different impedance to the amp. The second approach is to use an external crossover that splits the high pass (main) and low pass (sub) line level signals to the associated amplifiers. This approach provides much greater flexibility but with additional complexity and cost.

The crossover approach used may also affect a decision on an EQ. If you used the passive crossover approach with the crossover integrated into the subwoofer then you are stuck with whatever sub to main balance results. With matched subs and mains that may not be a concern but if you use Brand A sub with Brand B main or even two models from the same brand and line that are not specifically intended to work together, then you may end up with an imbalance between the sub and main levels. In that situation an EQ could be very beneficial.

Since I've been using the PR series as an example, I'll use it one last time :). What I figured I would do was run the two PR12's from my GX3 amp in stereo, and the PR SUBs from a possible GX5 amp. Apparently the PR SUBs have an internal crossover which uses only the lower end of the sound spectrum when connected this way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I am wrong, the QSC GX series are "subwoofer ready".

I definitely have no problem buying an EQ. In fact, I will budget it in. EQ'ing is definitely something I need to learn, and what better way than to incorporate it in to my PA system?

I like the PR Series because:

-The PR12's and PR SUBs are a matching set.
-The PR12's handle 400w (but most users say 250w is more like it. My GX3 amp puts out 300w per channel.
-All four of these speakers would easily fit in to my car and weigh between 30 and 40 lbs each.
-PR12 is $165 and the PR SUB is about $200. Both unpowered.
-They are entry level, but I really rarely use a sound system. It's literally a "handful of times per year" kind of thing.

My PA was medium sized at 5'-6", but I thought he was a big man anyway! :)

Since I've been using the PR series as an example, I'll use it one last time :). What I figured I would do was run the two PR12's from my GX3 amp in stereo, and the PR SUBs from a possible GX5 amp. Apparently the PR SUBs have an internal crossover which uses only the lower end of the sound spectrum when connected this way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I am wrong, the QSC GX series are "subwoofer ready".
According to the information on Peavey's web site, the PR Sub has no internal processing, just two 1/4" jacks (which I generally try to avoid since they do not lock) wired in parallel. The PR 12 also has two 1/4" jacks in parallel and the only processing is the internal crossover between the 12" woofer and the HF driver.

The QSC GX series amplifiers do have a mode for bi-amped sub and mains systems however it is based on using one amp to power both the main and sub for one channel. In crossover mode you connect the signal to the Channel 1 input on the amp and the content below 100Hz is routed to the Channel 1 output for the subwoofer while the content above 100Hz is routed to the Channel 2 output for the mains. Thus it would be one amp per channel powering a main and a subwoofer rather than one amp for mains and a second amp for subs.

It took a little searching but I found specs for both the PR 12 and the PR Sub. It appears that both are a nominal 8 Ohm impedance and both have a sensitivity rating of 97dB at 1 Watt and 1 meter, which potentially makes them a reasonable match for the concept used with the crossover mode of the QSC GX amplifiers. However, the PR Sub actually has a lower power rating than the PR 12 at 300W program and 600W peak versus 400W program and 800W peak, thus the GX3 may be a better match for the subs anyways. So you apparently could have each channel made up of a PR Sub and a PR 12 powered by a GX3 in crossover mode.

A detail but the GX3 is rated at 300W with both channels driving an 8 Ohm load however that is also a 1kHz rating, thus the output in a subwoofer or full range application is likely a bit less than that, although less than 1dB lower as far as the resulting speaker output.

An EQ will be nice for things such as being able to make some adjustments for various venues, different styles of music, different audiences, etc.

The sub location could be a tradeoff. Locating the subs as close as possible to the mains will probably sound better, especially through crossover. However, if you have two subwoofers and sit them right next to each other they will tend to have what is called 'mutual coupling' which both provides more even low frequency coverage, avoiding the 'power alley' of higher low frequency levels down the center of the room that is common with split left and right subs, and also providing up to 3dB of 'free' acoustic gain, thus more output than if separated. You can always experiment for an event to determine which approach works best for that specific application.

According to the information on Peavey's web site, the PR Sub has no internal processing...

This is news to me. Thanks for pointing that out!!!

The QSC GX series amplifiers do have a mode for bi-amped sub and mains systems however it is based on using one amp to power both the main and sub for one channel. In crossover mode you connect the signal to the Channel 1 input on the amp and the content below 100Hz is routed to the Channel 1 output for the subwoofer while the content above 100Hz is routed to the Channel 2 output for the mains. Thus it would be one amp per channel powering a main and a subwoofer rather than one amp for mains and a second amp for subs.

This was my initial plan, but...

It took a little searching but I found specs for both the PR 12 and the PR Sub. It appears that both are a nominal 8 Ohm impedance and both have a sensitivity rating of 97dB at 1 Watt and 1 meter, which potentially makes them a reasonable match for the concept used with the crossover mode of the QSC GX amplifiers. However, the PR Sub actually has a lower power rating than the PR 12 at 300W program and 600W peak versus 400W program and 800W peak, thus the GX3 may be a better match for the subs anyways. So you apparently could have each channel made up of a PR Sub and a PR 12 powered by a GX3 in crossover mode.

In a nutshell, are you saying that theoretically, my GX3 could handle a PR12 and a PR SUB per channel, basically powering all four speakers through my 2x300w amp? If so, that's a huge selling point for me!

A detail but the GX3 is rated at 300W with both channels driving an 8 Ohm load however that is also a 1kHz rating, thus the output in a subwoofer or full range application is likely a bit less than that, although less than 1dB lower as far as the resulting speaker output.

This doesn't sound like too much of an issue for my uses. If it turns out to be, I could always buy a second GX3 later on down the road.

An EQ will be nice for things such as being able to make some adjustments for various venues, different styles of music, different audiences, etc.

Yeah, I like that idea too. Any advice on which models to look at? I saw some Peavey's for about $99, but I really liked an Ashly, which was about $235. I want to buy quality where I can. I know that the speakers are low end, but I feel like they will actually be pretty easy to upgrade later on since speakers are generally pretty easy to resell in order to raise more funds. I would take more of a hit in trying to sell off an inadequate amplifier or EQ.

The sub location could be a tradeoff. Locating the subs as close as possible to the mains will probably sound better, especially through crossover. However, if you have two subwoofers and sit them right next to each other they will tend to have what is called 'mutual coupling' which both provides more even low frequency coverage, avoiding the 'power alley' of higher low frequency levels down the center of the room that is common with split left and right subs, and also providing up to 3dB of 'free' acoustic gain, thus more output than if separated. You can always experiment for an event to determine which approach works best for that specific application.

Gotcha. Placement will definitely be a venue-to-venue determination. I will be free to experiment and see what sounds best in whatever room I'm in. This is getting kind of exciting.

museav (and all other contributors), thanks so much for your insights and leg work in doing some of the research for me. As a "lighting veteran" I'm always answering newbie questions, like "can I replace a twistlock connector with a stage pin?" and my first instinct is to laugh and say something smart aleky, but I never would have imagined that I would be here in the sound forum asking basically the same types of questions.

Thanks!

I would look at a powered system. While they are not the finest speakers out there, the MACKIE srm450's are very common in this sort of application, and the first generation model works well and is pretty modestly priced on the used market. For a Sub Personally I like the Yorkville units. If you then upgraded the srm450's make good monotors (really needed if you are doing any live work)

sharyn

I would look at a powered system. While they are not the finest speakers out there, the MACKIE srm450's are very common in this sort of application, and the first generation model works well and is pretty modestly priced on the used market. For a Sub Personally I like the Yorkville units. If you then upgraded the srm450's make good monotors (really needed if you are doing any live work)

sharyn

That is a pretty speaker... I could then use my GX3 exclusively for the purpose of powering two passive subs.

Definitely food for thought... Thanks for sharing!

In a nutshell, are you saying that theoretically, my GX3 could handle a PR12 and a PR SUB per channel, basically powering all four speakers through my 2x300w amp? If so, that's a huge selling point for me!
The way the GX series amps work in crossover mode is that the Channel 1 output drives the sub and Channel 2 output drives the main. If you are running stereo then you would need two amps, one amp for the left sub and main and one amp for the right sub and main.

On the EQ I would suggest a dual channel, one-third octave graphic equalizer might be the best option. Peavey, ART and dbx have some units starting in the $170 to $200 range. I personally prefer those with a longer fader throw (a physically larger control fader) as it is easier to make adjustments but they are both physically larger and more expensive, probably in the $350 to $500+ range. Ashly makes some nice products, as do Rane and some others, but the Ashly one-third octave EQs are more like $500 to $700, the one you noted is probably the dual channel, 2/3 octave (15 band) version. That would help but provides less precise control, for example trying to cut a band to address feedback results in potentially affecting twice as wide a frequency band.

Powered speakers, both subs and/or mains, are indeed quite common in your type of application. Mackie, Yorkville, QSC, JBL and others offer products of this type. However, a pair of Peavey PR 12 mains and a QSC GX3 amp are around $680 while a pair of Mackie SRM450v2 powered mains are around $1,200. A significant difference but then again, the powered boxes have some processing, limiting and so on integrated into them along with the amplification. For some idea of common fully powered systems, a Mackie SRM450v2 over a Mackie SRM1801 would be about $1,300 per channel (one sub and one main) while a QSC K10 or K12 and a QSC K Sub would be around $1,750 to $1,850 per channel. Neither needs a crossover as it is integrated in the boxes, you come out of your mixer into one box (the subwoofer for the Mackie and the main for the QSC K series) and then out of that box and into the other box (the SRM450 for Mackie and the K Sub for QSC).

The way the GX series amps work in crossover mode is that the Channel 1 output drives the sub and Channel 2 output drives the main. If you are running stereo then you would need two amps, one amp for the left sub and main and one amp for the right sub and main.

I like this solution. Simple and elegant. I am also comforted by the fact that if an amp were to fail for any reason, I would still have some degree of full range sound. Not the best scenario, but it would sure beat losing the mains and only having subs working.

The powered systems are tempting, but a little costly for my use. Also, if a speaker were to get damaged, I would be replacing an amp and speaker in an active system, as opposed to just dealing with a simple passive speaker which would be less likely to sustain any significant damage at all.

Thanks for the advice on EQ's. You brought up some things I hadn't considered.

I'll keep you updated on my progress! I hope to have my current speakers sold this weekend and I'll probably go ahead and use that money to buy a second GX3 amp. I have a Kurzweil keyboard on Craigslist right now, and if it sells I will use those funds to buy all the speakers and possibly an EQ or better mixer if I have the money. The mixer I am considering is the Allen & Heath ZED-14.

Rather than starting a whole new thread, I decided to post an update in this one, and perhaps some of you guys could check me on this.

Since my last posting, I have strayed away from the Peavey PR series. I saw them in Guitar Center and they just have a cheap look and feel.

Right now, I have two QSC GX3 amps ready to feed whatever speakers I finally decide on. Here are some of the specs of the amps:

8 ohms / 1 kHz (both channels driven) 300 W
8 ohms / 1 kHz (single channel driven) 350 W
4 ohms / 1 kHz (both channels driven) 425 W
4 ohms / 1 kHz (single channel driven) 500 W

The speakers I have narrowed it down to are as follows:

Mains

Yamaha S112V

-Woofer: 12 in.
-Tweeter (diaphragm): 2 in. titanium
-Freq Resp (-10dB): 60Hz-16kHz
-Impedance: 8 Ohm
-Power Handling (noise1/program/peak): 175/350/700
-Sensitivity: 97dB
-Max. SPL3: 126dB

--OR--

JBL JRX112

-Frequency Range (-10dB): 60Hz - 16kHz
-Frequency Response: (3dB): 70Hz - 12kHz
-Sensitivity (1W/1m): 99dB SPL
-Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
-Power Capacity (continuous, 100-hour power test): 250 Watts
-Peak Power Capacity: 1000 Watts
-Recommended Amplifier Power: 250 Watts to 500 Watts into 8 Ohms
-Maximum SPL: 129dB
-Nominal Dispersion: 90 degrees x 50 degrees
-Crossover Frequency: 1.8kHz
-High Frequency Driver: JBL 2412 1 in. exit compression driver mounted on Progressive Transition Waveguide
-Low Frequency Driver: JBL M112-8

I will be using these on stands, so the monitor option of the JBL really doesn't mean much to me. In fact, it is somewhat of a turn off (for unknown reasons). Both of these speakers seem to be well-suited for the amps I have chosen. Comparable in price, with the JBL's being a little cheaper -- but I want the best pair in this price range ($300-$400 per box).

The subwoofer I am looking at is the JBL JRX118S. (I'll just be using a single sub in the foreseeable future.)

-Frequency range (-10dB): 38Hz - 300Hz
-Frequency response (±3dB): 55Hz - 300Hz
-Sensitivity (1w/1m): 96dB SPL
-Nominal impedance: 4 ohms
-Power capacity: 350W continuous, 1400W peak
-Maximum SPL: 127dB
**This sub will have its own GX3 (in crossover mode) devoted to feeding it**

And just for kicks, the mixer I am considering is the Yamaha MG124CX. I don't need a lot of functionality since I'm only doing music playback with a few mics for emcees. I just need something that will get the job done. I was considering the A&H ZED-14, but somehow I landed on this instead. Probably something to do with the price ;-).

As for cases, I will probably split it up. The amps will go in a 4 or 6U case and go on the floor, while the signal processing gear (EQ, CD Player, Juice Goose, Wireless Mics, etc) will go in a separate 4-6U case and sit on a table. For the amp case, should I go with a 4U and be all compact, or should I do a 6U and allow some air space and possibly room for a second power conditioner?

As always, if you guys have any additional words of wisdom, fair warnings or just general comments and input I'd love to hear it!

Last edited:
Just to say, I really like my QSC GX3. They are light, powerful enough, and is versatile with RCA+1/4"+XLR inputs and Speakon+1/4"+wire binding post+banana plug outputs. And the built in crossover fro mains and subs in one amp. I quite like my two.

Just to say, I really like my QSC GX3. They are light, powerful enough, and is versatile with RCA+1/4"+XLR inputs and Speakon+1/4"+wire binding post+banana plug outputs. And the built in crossover fro mains and subs in one amp. I quite like my two.

They do seem to be wonderful amps. I used the first one I bought to power a pair of speakers which really needed more power than the amp could deliver, but the GX3 didn't skip a beat. And the liberal choices of connections on the back is a big plus. I'll be going all XLR and Neutrik, but it's nice to know that I have choices!

Here is another item on my punch list:
-EQ (possibly an Ashly GQX1502)

Thinking out loud here: Should I invest in a crossover? It seems redundant, but I'm way out of my realm of expertise, and I always love having one more thing with knobs. On a similar note, how about a compressor for the sole purpose of system protection?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back