trying to learn

Hi

I am a retired Creative Director trying to help out a fledgling Community Theater Organization in the Republic of Panama put on low-cost
(over time) stage presentations. I want to create images on Photoshop... then burn to DVD and project from a laptop behind the stage ... for set designs rather than construct and tear-down 3-D designs.

I know very little about back projectors. I did some research which leads me to believe that I need a projector with a
short-throw, keystone features and 5,000 lumens(because of stage lighting) and need to spend about $3,500 (which is huge for this little group). Needless to say, I can't make a mistake in the purchase, so I need technical advise. Can anyone help me

Easy on the wild colors there, Amelia. The New Member Board is reserved just for introductions, so I've moved your post to Multimedia, Projection, and Show Control.

Others will be along to address your specific needs, but let me be the first to dampen your dreams. Projected scenery is not a substitute for the "real" thing. In the 1960s was a man named James Hull Miller, who proposed open stages for every high school in America using projected scenery with expensive and complicated equipment from Kliegl Bros. Didn't work then and doesn't work now, although the technology is better and even more costly.

EDIT: I was in error. It wasn't Kliegl, it was Hub Electric Company. See (link to unavailable book): Amazon.com: A system of background projection (Hub Electric Company Bulletin): James Hull Miller: Books

Last edited:
There have been several discussion regarding projected sets so you might want to start with a search for those.

A common issue in those has been that you need to consider the size of the image to be projected, the screen material or projection surface, the potential ambient light on the screen and the available space for the projector in order to make an assessment. So the more information you can provide about your application, the better.

Is the reason for putting the images on DVD just as a way to transfer the image files or were you thinking of playing them from the DVD? If they are static images then simply projecting the set graphic as a graphic file on the laptop might be easier.

Also think about things like whether you want to be able to black out the image at times and if that requires some form of remote control of the projector or a shutter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back