Control/Dimming Turning off an Element/Ion without a monitor?

Evening ControlBooth,
To be brief, I have an Element turned on that was used to put some lights on the stage for a rehearsal, but the monitor is currently being used elsewhere (don't ask me why...). I do not have access to another monitor in the building, so there is a monitor-less Element that I need to turn off! Does anyone know the syntax or shortcut to safely power down the console without looking at the monitor? Will it harm the board to power down using the big switch in the back of the console?

Thank you!

Try [Displays] [down arrow] [down arrow] [select] [select].

To be safe, I always do Displays/Browser, Up a few, then Right and Up a few more. Then, down twice, select, select. This makes sure you're in the correct browser option.

With software version 1.9.11, you can shut it down directly by pressing the power button twice when launched fully (i.e., not in the Shell).

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I think double tapping on the power button works. but I don't know if it saves the file and whatnot.

[Shift]+ [Update] will save the show, or if you're running something before 1.9.9 (which you shouldn't be - go upgrade, its worth it!), I believe it's [Update] + [Select].

Now that I'm not using a virtual keyboard on my Android.... a few clarifications:

Will it harm the board to power down using the big switch in the back of the console?

Long story short, yes. Hard powering off the console has the potential to cause data corruption, and we do not recommend powering it down in this way.

Similarly, you could power off the console by pressing and holding the power button for five seconds. While this is slightly better than turning off the hard power switch, it still is not a clean shutdown and poses the risk of data corruption.

Whenever possible, always power down via the software options (Browser -> Power Off Console, pressing the power button twice (1.9.11), or the Shutdown button in the shell).

I think double tapping on the power button works. but I don't know if it saves the file and whatnot.

Double tapping on the power button only works in 1.9.11 and beyond. While the showfile isn't automatically saved, it is held in persistent storage, and the show will still be there when you turn it back on. All the same, save early, save often, and save to external media. As Rochem pointed out, [Shift]+[Update] is a great tool for a quick save to the hard drive.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I ended up holding down the power button to power down. In the future I'll use the arrow keys/select method, but I wasn't working on the show file at all that day, and I wasn't too worried about losing it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back