TVs

EustaceM

I want to place a few LED TVs or another flat screen TV into a set so that it can play slideshows and videos. I want to hook them up to a computer to run these videos. How would I hook them up that way and what equipment such as adaptors should I get? I rather use this method than playing it on the cyc or mid-stage scrim through the one projector because the cyc cant be used due to the height of the set and the actors wouldn't be visable clearly with the scrim flown in. The videos and slide shows need to play along side the actors in a majority of the show. The TVs would compliment the "award show" style of the set.

Most TVs allow you to just use VGA to connect to them. And most computers use VGA to connect to a monitor. Depending on the location, you could just run to the TVs from the computer, or from something like the Matrox TripleHead2Go or DoubleHead2Go to get more outputs.

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One downside of using the D/TH2G is that all the images are still controlled, and generated, by the same PC (on the same graphics card output, too). This means that you'll have to look at the specs to make sure your computer is up to it (with video especially), and you'll probably want to use software like QLab (or Isadora, I think) to manage the playback of the different video streams. If you stick to one PC per video output, however, you can easily just use powerpoint.

What are you actually trying to do? Do you want to display the same content on multiple displays? Display different content on each display? Spread a single image across multiple displays? All of the above? And how many displays may be involved?

Are you expecting people to be able to see what is displayed or is the goal to have color, motion, etc. without the actual content being critical? The latter seems likely since you posted this in the Special Effects rather than Multimedia forums, however if being able to discern the content is desired then unless you are working in a rather small space or use a multiple display video wall type approach, the potential viewing distance for content on a single flat panel type display is likely to be limited.

What is the content and the source for it (PC, DVD, clip server, etc.)? What video connectivity and signals do the source and displays support?

What potentially related equipment do you already have or have available to you? What is your budget?

People can only respond based on the information provided so the more information one provides on their situation and what they are trying to accomplish, the more anyone can respond to offer solutions that fit their needs and avoid going down dead end paths.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back