Design Twinkling Gobo

If I understand what you're asking correctly, I've done it with an Apollo twinspin, 2 gobos rotating different directions, slightly out of focus. It's not perfect, but with the right gobos it can work.

First, to clarify, Apollo's gobo rotator is the SmartMove, the TwinSpin is a GAM product.

If you are looking to make something like twinkling stars, you should consider putting your star template in a static position. Some gobo rotators allow you to rotate two templates individually, while some only rotate both in opposition. If you can't individually control both slots in your rotator then just put one template in the rotator and one in a standard template holder.

What about a stationary star gobo, and a rotating breakup gobo of some kind?

Edit: Argh, Shoulda read all of Icewolf's post. He beat me to it.

At one time we had sandwiched glitter in an aqueous fluid between two pieces of boro. This worked well for the short term, but thermal dynamics (being what the are) caused the goo to escape into the fixture.

(Nice smoke effect though!)

I'm not sure what kind of "twinkle" you're going for, but if you have a rotator I'm sure you can do it easily!

If you want stationary dots twinkling, I'd do what some others have suggested: rotate a breakup gobo against a stationary star gobo.

If you want it to move (as in for a snow-like effect, which is what I used it for last year) you can rotate two dot breakup gobos (such as R77807) against each other. Gives a sort of twinkly falling-snow type effect. You'd need a rotator that can rotate two gobos in opposite directions, though. We have the Rosco Vortex 360s I believe.

Really depends what you're going for. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back