Two ETC Sensor racks outputing two different intensities?

flr666

Hi guys. I have a rig split between two different etc sensor touring racks. When all the lights are run up to say 30% there is a big difference in intensity between the two racks. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Both racks have been 'reset' - which I would presume would default any dimming curve settings (or maybe not?) and both racks are on the same power source. Any Ideas?

Control Desk is a Grand MA.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I have a rig split between two different etc sensor touring racks. When all the lights are run up to say 30% there is a big difference in intensity between the two racks. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Both racks have been 'reset' - which I would presume would default any dimming curve settings (or maybe not?) and both racks are on the same power source. Any Ideas?

Control Desk is a Grand MA.

Do you see the same difference at Full?

Hitting the Reset button on the CEM does not, as far as I know, do anything more than essentially cycle power to the CEM.

Are both racks on the same universe of DMX? Daisy-chained, or discrete run?

--Sean

Do you see the same difference at Full?

Hitting the Reset button on the CEM does not, as far as I know, do anything more than essentially cycle power to the CEM.

Are both racks on the same universe of DMX? Daisy-chained, or discrete run?

--Sean

Both racks are sitting right next to one another and daisy chained and the intensities are the same at full. I don't have the kit in front of me right now but as I recall intensities seem to start matching up at around 65% and up.

Both racks are sitting right next to one another and daisy chained and the intensities are the same at full. I don't have the kit in front of me right now but as I recall intensities seem to start matching up at around 65% and up.

That suggests to me two different dimming curves. If they're only different in the middle of their ranges (Out and Full look the same on both racks) I think you're dealing with two different rack set-ups.

As a quick comparison, swap CEM's. Does the rack that was 'dimmer' at 60% become the brighter one?

--Sean

That suggests to me two different dimming curves. If they're only different in the middle of their ranges (Out and Full look the same on both racks) I think you're dealing with two different rack set-ups.

As a quick comparison, swap CEM's. Does the rack that was 'dimmer' at 60% become the brighter one?

--Sean

I was thinking the same thing and was simply under the mistaken impression that resetting the racks would default them. I will print up the manual and play with them in the morning.

The suggestion of two different curves is probably the correct answer. Sensor 2.x code had one curve and Sensor 3.x used modified square law. Now, in 3.x you could also select a curve called Sensor 2.0 so that newer coded control modules could match CEMs with older code.

After you hit reset, the code version will briefly be displayed, then take a look in the Dimmer menu at a couple of the dimmers and see what curve is displayed.

Oh, and should mention, 2.x code indeed has a much hotter bottom end on the curve which does look to explain what you're seeing.

David

Are these rental racks... are all the modules the same (d20AF vs D20)... are the brains set the same? (AF vs Non-af)... it will make a difference.
RB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back