Ultrasonic Low Fog

LPdan

Does anyone have any experience or comments regarding ultrasonic low fog machines? Froggy's Poseidon Aqua 2 and Aqua 4 look interesting. I'm curious about how good the looks, volume of output, how much moisture builds on the stage floor, etc.

Last edited:
I haven't used them myself, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. The reports I've gotten have been lackluster. Not very dense, not a lot of fog, not sticking to the floor, and not great hang time. At some point I'll run a comparison, but those kinds of reports don't want me to push it too hard.

They are, however, very cost effective. They are significantly cheaper than dedicated units, and don't require CO2.

I have used ultrasonic misters for almost three decades. Originally, the transducers were only available from TDK and very expensive. Now, they are a few dollars each and available as single submersible pucks or big arrays. Here is a fast and inexpensive way to build a ground fog unit using ultrasonic misters if you want to build your own.

5 gallon bucket with lid from big box store
One each 12 transducer model DK12 mister array. http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html Or similar.
Cut three holes in the lid. One to match a 4' diameter muffin style fan. Mount fan so flow is pointed in to pressurize the bucket
Second hole is for fog exhaust. I use 3" vacuum hose and fittings from big box store.
Third hole is for low voltage cable to transducer assembly that sits on the bottom of the bucket.

I typically add a float valve in the bucket to auto fill with water. Set valve to stop water fill no more than about 1/2" above transducer surface. Something like this
If water is too deep than that it will limit fog output.
Use cool water. warm water will limit ground flow effect from hose.

I put the fan on a variable speed controller to control flow. You can also do this manually by putting a damper over the fan intake.

You can run the fog over dry ice to improve ground hugging quality.

This technique leaves a lot of water on the floor surface. Not really a good solution for continuous duty situations
These transducers require clean water. Soft water is best if available. Hard water will dramatically reduce transducer life. Replacement transducer discs are available.
Clean the water busker after each use. Ultrasonic transducers scrub dirt and bacteria from the air and will create a petri dish of goo in your bucket if you don't clean it.
DO NOT add scents or chemicals to the water. These transducers atomize at very small particles and you can set up a lung hazard if you add chemicals.

If you just want to buy a large volume unit, go here http://www.mainlandmart.com/humidify.html
Still makes a wet mess but really pumps the fog

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back