Wireless Update on Wireless Mics in the United States

Re: 700MHz Wireless Mic Ban

So, I would expect that if you own a device that can operate either in or out of the 700 MHz band, then as long as you are sure you are out of the prohibited band, you are fine (assuming it otherwise meets the appropriate requirements.) But, if you accidentally program the wrong channel, you are in trouble.
This was a question leading up to this latest R&O and as I noted earlier, if you look at the addressing of specific products (Operation of Wireless Mics in 700 MHz Band) it appears that in many cases the decision was to prohibit devices that could operate within the 698-806MHz spectrum.

A couple of other clarifications as I understand it. I believe that the actual ruling is that wireless mics in the 700MHz spectrum can continue to operate until June 12, 2010 with the caveats that a) they still operate as secondary users (must accept and not cause interference from the primary users) and b) may be requested to cease operations before that date. I am speculating that the latter may be related to any primary licensed user initiating services in that spectrum before the June 12, 2010 date.

As far as wireless mics outside the 700MHz spectrum, I reiterate that the waiver to allow operation as Part 15 devices is a) only a temporary waiver until a long term solution addressing all the other issues noted can be developed, b) still requires that systems be subject to interference from and avoid interference with licensed users and c) applies only to systems under 50mW, among other technical requirements.

Finally, I have heard rumors from some reliable sources that the FCC has greatly expanded and improved their compliance capabilities. Combine that with the spectrum rights holders likely being more proactive in assessing and enforcing compliance than in the past and the chances of violations being identified and enforced may be significantly greater now than ever. And as I once heard a Judge say, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse.", not knowing about these changes may affect the fines assessed but will not serve and a defense of a violation occurring.

Ignorance of the Law generally applies in criminal proceedings. In civil issues things tend to get mitigated by ignorance, vs willful violation

Where did you see the 50mw limitation, I saw a listing that seemed to show 250mw?

Sharyn

I just read some more of the R&O (good for insomnia...) and there are a couple more points that should be highlighted.

- In the discussion about making current unlicensed users "legal" under part 15, they state that the technical requirements will be the same as those for licensed users (part 74, with the exception of a lower power limit.) So, if you are using equipment that could be licensed (if you were eligible) then you are fine. But, if you are using equipment that doesn't meet the technical requirements of part 74, you are out of luck. I expect most equipment meets this, but some may not.

- In adopting the part 74 technical requirements, there will be defined distances on now far you need to be from a TV broadcaster to be allowed use their channel, it's no longer just "if it works".

· Channels 2-4 (54-72 MHz) and 5-6 (76-88 MHz)
Zone I: 105 km (65 miles)
Zones II and III: 129 km (80 miles)
· Channels 7-13 (174-216 MHz)
Zone I: 97 km (60 miles)
Zones II and III: 129 km (80 miles)
Channels 14-36 (470-608 MHz) and 38-51 (614-698 MHz)
All zones: 113 km (70 miles)
(Zones are areas of the US, see http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/tvzones/ for map.)

- Though they recognize it as an issue, they are not addressing interference from TV Band Devices as a part of this NPRM.
we do not address herein the specific issues raised in the petitions for reconsideration of the rules regarding wireless microphone operations and TV Band Devices.

Note: The above is what they are considering. For the moment, you can keep using what you have (until June 12, if it's above 698 MHz), until they make the final ruling.

-Fred

Last edited:
In regards to TVBD and many other issues, the R&O seems to spend as much of the text summarizing and itemizing already identified issues that still need to be resolved as it does on anything else.

Time for churches to "come to Jesus" on illegal wireless mics

ArsTechnica wrote a very good article on this very subject. They don't stress the temporary waiver aspect enough in my opinion, but otherwise they are pretty much on the mark. It's also written to a nontechnical audience, so you might pass this article around to the powers-that-be.

Considering the just made Supreme court decision re companies being able to make virtually unlimited contributions to Politicians, who know what the next few months will bring. As with everything these days in Washington, it all comes down to lobbying

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back