Updating your tool bag

I'm starting a new gig as an LD/ME in november so i'm taking the opportunity to pick up some new tools and equipment. I've already got my staples such as c-wrench, lightspeed wrench, multi-tool, flashlight, and screwdriver. I want to pick up a new soldering iron and wire cutters and maybe a couple other things but I was wondering if anyone could recommend any brands/tools that i should consider adding to my kit? Thanks!

Gamcheck or another power/lamp check of your choice if you hace the money.
Electricians scissors
Altman wrench
Pin Splitter Tool
Gloves
Good Dykes
Wire Stripper
Needle Nose Pliers can come in handy.
Multitool
Razorblade
Deoderant
Personal roll of gaff tape
Paper and writing utensils

Also, if you search for it, this topic has a couple of threads already, check them out.

thanks, i was trying to find this thread earlier and couldn't. much appreciated

Easy there, while DMX generators are wonderful devices, I wouldn't drop the cash on one before rounding out my tool bag. If all you own are a multi tool and a few screwdrivers, there are certainly several most basics it would be prudent to spend that $300 on, IMHO.

DMX Testers are also cool, I made one of these - DMX Tester, cost me under $5 until I had to shell out $11 for the 5 Pin XLR. But that's what you get for living in Aus. I also have a Non Contact AC Voltage Tester, It's awesome.
Nick

If you're just wanting a gig as a production electrician sure, but he stated that he was moving into ME/LD work. I can't tell you how many times I've discovered problems other people couldn't figure out with my swisson in 5 min. Plus as an LD having a little device that can store a scene next to me at the console has saved me when I've had to hot swap a desk, especially with High End gear that tends to blackout when dmx is lost.

axislights

Easy there, while DMX generators are wonderful devices, I wouldn't drop the cash on one before rounding out my tool bag. If all you own are a multi tool and a few screwdrivers, there are certainly several most basics it would be prudent to spend that $300 on, IMHO.

A good at least 400A clamp style clamp type multi-meter that does ohms, Hz, Voltage in DC and AC is a really good investiment at this point.

Primary concerns are accuracy, peak hold and it being able to say fit around a 4/0 cable in many won't. Balance that with price and yes you do probably need true RMS though certifications of this can probably not be needed.

Bonus on this would be a good Fluke set of alternate to what comes with the meter (your spare) set of bananna clips with alternate type alagator, insulation pericing jaw and clamp jaw type probes that are easily interchangable. Nothing like the ability to clamp to say a screw in not having to hold the probe on that screw while concentrating on what you are testing. This much less other even in general probes that are slightly larger in better finding contact within even an Edison outlet. Double ended Banana clip cables with lots of options in probe type is a good thing that makes testing gear much easier.

Used one alagator clip today to clamp to a screw on the breaker, a wide probe to clamp or touch various other points in figuring out that I had a bad indicator light on a AC distro, no somehing miswired or not connected. Having options available for clamping to what you wish as replacement probe is a good thing also option of wider probes so they are easier to touch the contacts within a plug. This beyond while for like $300.00 I got a true RMS multi-meter that's accurate and does amps in clamp style also, it has paid off also in something I use that does what I need of it with accuracy. Good clamp style multi-meter a good next buy.

First the good quality multi-meter that's clamp Amp style, than the interchangable probes that help easier figure out what is wrong in clamping or probing and there is at least four different clip or probe styles out there that is useful.

Thinking such a multi meter would be a good buy next in goal.

Last edited:
I got a great deal on a Extech meter set last week:
proxy.php

I have the same non-clamp style meter, it works great, the ncv thing works well, and overall its a decent meter for not as much as you would pay for a FLuke (my next objective).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back