Mixers/Consoles Use TT24 with ProTools

Soxred93

Hi all,

My school just acquired a Mackie TT24. Yes, I know some of you are rolling your eyes, but this is the nicest thing our school has gained in the past 10 years at least. Anyways, we're looking to use it as a controller and added inputs for ProTools. We've got the 003 Rack for the computer it will be used on, and an added 8-channel rack-mounted mixer that connects via ADAT to the 003.

However, from what it looks like now, there is no way to add any more channels, because the ADAT port has a maximum of 8 channels. Is there a way to allow us to either a) use the console as a control surface, and/or b) send more than 8 inputs to the 003 rack?

However, from what it looks like now, there is no way to add any more channels, because the ADAT port has a maximum of 8 channels. Is there a way to allow us to either a) use the console as a control surface, and/or b) send more than 8 inputs to the 003 rack?
A)No, the tt24 does not play with Pro Tools. You would have to use the Mackie Universal Control to do this.
B)Not on ADAT. But you can use the analog inputs too for a total of 18 inputs.

But you can use the analog inputs too for a total of 18 inputs.

Do you mean using the 4 XLR inputs, the 4 TRS inputs, and the stereo AUX inputs on the 003, plus the 8 digital inputs?

Do you mean using the 4 XLR inputs, the 4 TRS inputs, and the stereo AUX inputs on the 003, plus the 8 digital inputs?

I am pretty sure that is what he means. MisterTim, are you sure that the TT24 couldn't control ProTools via MIDI? I could be wrong but I would think that you could have the TT24 send MIDI to ProTools via the 003. You would have to get the MIDI control patching right which would be a little tricky.

Another thought is to use MOTU stuff if you have a Mac. I know their products have 2 and 3 ADAT pipes. You could grab 24 channels real easy that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back