Using an iPhone RFU

Repeater

Hi all, I've been searching this forum and other places but have not found the answer yet. I'd like to use my iPhone for a wireless RFU. We have an Expression 3 so I don't expect that it will be possible to control that. So unless told otherwise I'll be content to control our dimmers directly via another input to them.

I have seen and investigated the Enttec ODE. As I understand it, it will output DMX to our dimmers. On the other end of the ODE, a wireless AP or router will feed the ethernet port. Then using an app such as MagicQ on my iPhone, I will be able to command channels and maybe groups for focus.

Am I on the right path? If this scenario works, what issues, if any, occur when two or more iPhones attempt to connect to the AP and bring up channels? Or maybe there's a better way to accomplish all of this....

Thanks!

Laryn

Hi Laryn,
I am in the same boat. We use a Express 48/96, and am looking for a way to add an Ipad remote RFU to that also. In the interim, however, I have successfully achieved what you are trying to do by using the Enttec ODE, an "off the shelf" wireless router, and either the App from Alcorn McBride or Luminair depending on what mood I am in. It results in a very simple RFU that you can bring up each channel independantly or in groups.
jim

Hi all, I've been searching this forum and other places but have not found the answer yet. I'd like to use my iPhone for a wireless RFU. We have an Expression 3 so I don't expect that it will be possible to control that. So unless told otherwise I'll be content to control our dimmers directly via another input to them.

I have seen and investigated the Enttec ODE. As I understand it, it will output DMX to our dimmers. On the other end of the ODE, a wireless AP or router will feed the ethernet port. Then using an app such as MagicQ on my iPhone, I will be able to command channels and maybe groups for focus.

Am I on the right path? If this scenario works, what issues, if any, occur when two or more iPhones attempt to connect to the AP and bring up channels? Or maybe there's a better way to accomplish all of this....

Thanks!

Laryn

ETC is only showing a wireless rfu that they sell, and with most programs you'll need the dongle and basically you'll be changing platforms. MagicQ will control the console, and the Vista and some others also offer pc-based programming with Iphone control. I use Iphone/Ipad to control the GrandMA, and the only shortcoming is that you can't change the patch with the remote. You can call up channels, dimmers, groups, cues, and record all you want. Youtube should have some videos showing these apps. Either way, you're looking at a cost of at least $1500, give or take, to be able to remote focus (assuming you are already I-capable). It's worth it if you can get someone else to pay for it :)

Yes, it sounds like you’re on the right path. An Enttec ODE or other Art-Net node connected to a simple wireless access point should work great. Assuming you’ve already got an iOS device, you should be able to get all set up for less than $500. Another benefit of an Art-Net node like the ODE is you’ll be able to use it with other PC/Mac software or general DMX-over-ethernet distribution if needed in the future.

The last bit is finding an app for your iPhone. Two that I use sometimes are:
Alcorn McBride Lighting Pad Alcorn McBride LightingPad Features
• Synthe FX Luminair Synthe FX - Innovative tools for artists/designers + film/tv + architectural

Regarding your question about multiple iPhones: yes, that should be possible. It’ll probably depend on the Art-Net node you get. The Enttec ODE (which I use myself) will receive Art-Net from up to 2 devices and merge them together using highest-takes-precedence. If you add a third device, I can’t remember exactly how it behaves, but it won’t merge it. You can buy a plugin from Enttec to allow merging up to 6 devices if needed. ENTTEC - OPEN DMX ETHERNET

I hope that helps!

I found an iPhone app called Rig Tool from Light Logic (Rig Tool is a cheap [either free or $0.99 - they also offer a more powerful upgraded version] and very basic ArtNet control that I've been using as an ArtNet input source for testing.

I bought an Enttec ODE and have begun playing. Having minor issues but I will know more tomorrow when I get back to work after changes made tonight. (No dimmers at home....)

Thanks all!

Laryn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back