Control/Dimming Using Jands Vista without the very expensive Dongle

On that note, I need to find a way to use a GrandMA2 Full Size on one small show without actually having to pay for the console. Sarcasm aside though, it is a relatively expensive piece of software and the only way that you are going to get to use it is if you either buy it or rent it for this show. The latter seems like your best bet as I know that at least around where I am, Vista consoles, wings, and dongles can be rented with relative ease.

I don't know much about the Jands Vista software, but unless there's a trial version you can use, it sounds like what you're trying to do is very illegal -- at least the way you've got your request vaguely phrased. As metti said, buy it, rent it, or otherwise legally acquire it. Your most inexpensive option is to ask a dealer to demo it for a show. Given it's a software package and not an actual console, I don't know how/if dealers will do that, but that's your best bet.

It looks like they offer a fully-functional demo version that periodically blacks out without the dongle. If you really want to try the software, do that but don't use it for your show. Otherwise, you'll need to get in touch with a dealer but my suspicion is that because the fully-functional demo is available, it might be harder to find someone who will let you demo their dongle.

MNicolai and metti both offer good solutions and probably the only ones you're going to come across. Dongles are expensive because you're also paying for the software and the rights to use it. OLEs are the best way to test board software and see if it flows the way you do when programming and running shows. They're free as a convience to the consumer. Circumventing the dongle is rather illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel it bears noting that I did not interpret the OP's posting as indicating an intent to illegally circumvent Jand's dongle but rather as indicative of a lack of understanding of the role of hardware dongles for software. Now that I go back and read, I can see where you two are getting that (s)he might be thinking about doing things in a less than kosher way but my original post was not meant to shut the OP down but rather to explain that, unlike MagicQ and many other software applications, Vista is not free in any usable form. I can understand that, for many, the idea of software that only works when a really expensive flash key is plugged into the computer is a little bit hard to grasp if you are only used to working with more consumer level applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back