variety performance sound

smchris

Hi All,

I am the DSM for a variety performance in mid-june at a professional venue in Suffolk, I have done some DSM work at the college theatre and ASM work with ameatuer theatre companies so this will be my first time at a larger venue and a bit new to this, so I have a couple of questions I wanted to ask!

1: I will be located on the prompt desk in the SL wings and the sound engineer will be up in the gallery on the mixer, so obviously I won't know how long of the music there is left (generally in this show when the music ends I will give the next lighting cue) is it worth having the sound op to give me a 10 seconds heads up over the cans so I can be prepared to give the next cue? or is there a better system I can use?
by the way we are using Sound Cue System 9 for the show.

2: The variety show is an 'end of an era' performance as 50% of the cast are leaving the company, and the companys house venue will be demolished in the next few weeks to make way for a modern venue so in our last production meeting it was decided that as a nice touch the pre-show/ interval music should be themed so I was wondering if any one had any sound ideas? So far I have "I gotta feeling (Tonights going to be a good night)" but I will do some more digging around I think!!

Thanks in advance, I do really appreciate it!

Chris

... is it worth having the sound op to give me a 10 seconds heads up over the cans so I can be prepared to give the next cue? or is there a better system I can use? ...
How about running your own stopwatch? Start it when you call the sound cue, and (provided the sound op executes on your GO) you'll know exactly everything you need to. You should already have the TRT of each track documented in your script.

Last edited:
I agree with Derek on this one, the only downside is that some CD players I've come across (our Marantz ones were notorious for this) have a pause right after you hit the button before the track plays, throwing off your timing. Is there a way to rig up a call light for you that the A1 can flash as the track nears its end? I could see rigging up something on one of the snake lines that would be quick and easy.

... Is there a way to rig up a call light for you that the A1 can flash as the track nears its end? I could see rigging up something on one of the snake lines that would be quick and easy.
Perhaps the ClearCom's "call light"?

I agree with Derek on this one, the only downside is that some CD players I've come across (our Marantz ones were notorious for this) have a pause right after you hit the button before the track plays, throwing off your timing. ...
If that's the case, start the clock when you hear the sound begin, rather than when you call the cue.

I run sound for about 20 dance shows a year, It is standard practice for me to call out "1 minute" and then "30 seconds" as it helps out everyone that involved in the production and things run much smoother.

As for a delay in a CD player starting after pressing Play, make sure the unit is Paused before pressing the play button.

derekleffew said:
How about running your own stopwatch? Start it when you call the sound cue, and (provided the sound op executes on your GO) you'll know exactly everything you need to. You should already have the TRT of each track documented in your script.

That sounds like a good option I think, because we are using SCS9 as soon as you click the 'go' button on the laptop the track plays so the only thing that could go slightly wrong is the sound op not excecuting on my GO.

Eboy87 said:
... Is there a way to rig up a call light for you that the A1 can flash as the track nears its end? I could see rigging up something on one of the snake lines that would be quick and easy.

Not in this venue I don't think

derekleffew said:
Perhaps the ClearCom's "call light"?

I wouldnt want to use this method since the call light might be used quite a bit (the duty tech is located in an office away from the stage areas and the call light is used mainly to get the attention of the duty tech via a wall mounted station.

Thanks for everyones replies, and I think for this production I will speak to the sound op and ask him to do what WooferHound does with the 1 minute/ 30 seconds and also use a stopwatch to keep track of the song as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back