Vectorworks Drawing and light plotting

I checked the search to see if this question has been answered before and I dont think it has. Its pretty specific.

I am picking vectorworks back up after a while and after sitting here all afternoon im starting to get a hang on it again. I was sent the AUTOCad file for our theatre space with the catwalks drawn in, I converted it to a vector works file, then I cut and pasted it (the theatre layout drawing) into a new page so I could see where my sheet of paper ends. Well the drawing exceeds the boarders of the paper when I cut and pasted the drawing from the other file. This new file is all set up how I want it to be set up, except the drawing is too big for the paper. Where, in the settings do I go to fix this? To make the drawing fit the size of the sheet of paper?

Also, later I will be importing the set drawing into this same drawing, I figure I just create another layer and cut and paste the set drawing (ground plan) into this light plot file. I hope that works...

Does anyone know how to make my drawing smaller? Im running vectorworks 2010, I dont want to upgrade because 2010 is what I learned on and I dont have the time to relearn where all the buttons went in the newer versions. Thank you for all your help!!!

All you need to do is change the scale. On the tool bar at the top there should be a little ruler icon that when clicked opens a window that allows you to change the scale. Find one that solves your dilemma and then make sure to hit the check box that says "all layers" assuming you want all layers in your drawing to have the same scale. Also I would double check that your page size is appropriate. Under file> page setup. Change your size on both the first window and under printer settings, and then make sure to hit "show boundaries".

I hope this helps

(oh and if the ruler isn't there hit the little arrow tab at the far right end of the toolbar and make sure "scale" is checked.)

How big of a sheet of paper do you want to print on?

CBR372 got it correct in that in Document Set Up, which is usually within the File drop down when in the Design WorkSpace (could never find it in SpotLight until I added it in the workspace editor), you need to change the scale. However! If you are using too small of a piece of paper you'll end up with 1/16" = 1' or something similarly crazy tiny! Keep in mind, Vectorworks doesn't actually operate on "Page Size" in creating drawing area, so you'll need to play with the scaling options to find one most suitable for your purposes. Under Page Setup, you can set the page size you want to work in and have VW show page boundaries and breaks.

When printing, you can usually, depending on the printer you have, scale the drawing down to fit to page in the print dialogue. However, if done improperly, your drawing won't be in scale!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back