Design Vectorworks symbol issue

Hello,
I really need a symbol for a RBGW LED Par (I think six channels) on vectorworks. I know I can make one, but, being new to this, I don't know exactly how to give it the data' that a symbol coming from a certain manufacturer would have, the alternative to it having data is it just being a shape, not recognized as a light. I know whichever symbol I find won't be perfect to the LED I'm trying to match (it's from some nobody DJ company) but I need it for school purposes.
Can anyone recommend a good symbol or package download I can be referred to?
Thanks all!

I would recommend finding a symbol located within the USITT library within Vectorworks. I just created a collaborative article describing how to locate the library as well as other libraries and how to import and customize the symbol to fit your needs. You can find the article here.

Can you give me the data on this fixture? I can try to make one for you, and then go through the steps I took to make it. =)

Yes I can! Here are the specs from the manufacture's website:
Model: RGBWMP-54X1
LED Multipar, 54x1W RGBW
25º Beam angle
54 1W RGBW LEDs
75W-max power consumption
5-channel DMX
Auto, DMX, master/slave & sound activated modes
Dimensions (LxWxH): 12¼” x 8½” x 13”
Weight: 9 lbs.

Link to website: Times Square Stage Lighting - LEDs

The simplest method is to take a similar unit and change what bothers you. It may take some time to get it right but you will learn a lot about how to use the system.

When you edit the symbol but have nothing selected you will find the "Lighting Info Record" record on the Data tab. Edit that to suit. If you want to change the 2D or 3D parts, do so like any other symbol. It's really the lighting tool that makes it a light, or using the "Convert To Instrument" command.

There is also a lot of help on the Vectorworks site and in the software help file.

Here is the file! https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B84RerJB3mYmUUJlZDdGNUhsVnM/edit?usp=sharing

Basically I started with the Source Four Body symbol, duplicated it (Right click the symbol, Duplicate, and name what you want). Then right click the new symbol, click EDIT, then edit the 2D Symbol. IMORTANT: Make sure NOTHING is selected (If by default the fixture is selected, click anywhere to unselect). Then in the Object Info Palette, click the Data Tab, and then the Light Info Record text. You can then edit all the details as needed!

Happy editing!!

-S

Here is the file! https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B84RerJB3mYmUUJlZDdGNUhsVnM/edit?usp=sharing

Basically I started with the Source Four Body symbol, duplicated it (Right click the symbol, Duplicate, and name what you want). Then right click the new symbol, click EDIT, then edit the 2D Symbol. IMORTANT: Make sure NOTHING is selected (If by default the fixture is selected, click anywhere to unselect). Then in the Object Info Palette, click the Data Tab, and then the Light Info Record text. You can then edit all the details as needed!

Happy editing!!

-S
Wow thank you so much! Can't tell you how much easier this makes things. Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back