Video over ETCNet3

CraigV

I have two network projectors. Can I plug them into the ETCNet3 ports in the theater and plug a computer into another one and run them that way or will that not work or screw something up? Anyone have experience with this?

Doesn't work like that. Most projectors with network connections have network connections for control (turn on, lamp usage, system monitoring). They're not intended for transmitting video.

Some projectors are equipped to receive video on an RJ45 connector, but it's HDBaseT and purely point-to-point. You can't route that signal through a network switch.

Aside from that, if you don't have experience in configuring and planning networks, you don't want to be adding equipment to your Net3 network. You don't what repercussions that may have until things on your network start falling offline.

Doesn't work like that. Most projectors with network connections have network connections for control (turn on, lamp usage, system monitoring). They're not intended for transmitting video.
If you are just sending the control signals over the network, it probably would be pretty easy to have this use the Net3 network - probably just configuration of the projector and laptop (possibly requiring configuration of the routers/switches). Even if the projector did have some sort of network transported video, the bandwidth that would be needed would have to be carefully planned for. An existing network designed for something else would probably not provide satisfactory results - upgrades to the routing/switching hardware and/or wiring might be needed.

If you're hoping to just plug and play, you're going to be disappointed quickly due to the reasons above; however, if you're willing to go into the dimmer room ...

Simply connect the two patch locations in the network patch bay together; bypassing the hub / networking all together. This means you can use an HDMI or VGA extender. The problem you might find here is the maximum distance an extender can reach. The hard part is figuring out which patch locations correspond to which satellites.

Alright. While it's true that I personally don't have much experience with advanced networking (I can network a couple computers and a wifi router, but who can't?), the theater manager has such experience and the district has an IT department we can call upon.

I figured I would ask here before bugging them about it to see if I was onto something or just plain crazy. Crazy it is. :p

If all you are doing is using the network for control of the projector, this should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back