Walk-Along versus Rope Curtains for Backdrops

urban79

I"m having a bad search day, since I figured I could find this information somewhere on the web.

We have a number of travellers that do not all get used for any given show. I would love to be able to hang (at some point in the future, not for anything going on currently) backdrops to be used as walk-alongs, instead on pulleys and ropes as they currently are.

Is this conversion possible, particularly for a temporary situation? Are there any difficulties regarding this that I am not taking into account? Again, at this point it's purely research for future possibilities.

Thanks!

Chris

Converting a traveler track to operate from the deck like a walk along is as simple as disconnecting the ropes from the master carrier(s). Now, that being said, in order to hang a full stage seamless drop you need to have one solid piece of track instead of two pieces (like a traveler traditionally is). This can also be done with a standard traveler track but takes a good amount of work.

What is your reasoning to make these tracks into walk along tracks? That is usually the opposite way things go.

Assuming that the tracks you have are standard tracks from a current manufacturer (such as ADC or H&H), it shouldn't be a big deal to get extra splice plates, hangers, etc. to go with the existing tracks (I'm guessing that you have bi-parting travelers, and want to pull the drop across the full stage width). The only real question is if you'd want to buy a second set of carriers so that you could use two drops on one track (one stored left, one stored right), and if you'd have to cut the track for flying clearance when it's spliced end for end for walkalong, instead of overlapped for bi-parting operation.

It depends on how hard it is to access your track. If it flys in or you have a lift then it's no big deal. All you need to do is release the carriers in the center and remove the rope. To repair simply refeed the rope and reattach the carriers. Make absolutely sure you understand how the rope feeds through all the parts before you remove it. It is easy to fix but can hurt your head if you haven't done it before.
Edit:
If you do a split walkacross you can do what I said and it has to to be walked to the middle from each side. If you want a single curtain it is much more difficult because you have to change from a double track to a single.

Last edited:
I do it every year for a Nutcracker. Removing the ropes is no problem. The real problem is in wear and tear to the aging drops. Eventually all the drops had the edges reinforced with webbing to keep them from tearing.

If you only have one drop on the track, you can still use the operating line. Splice the track into a single run, use one master at the leading edge of the drop and the normal op line does the job. If you need two drops on the track, it can still be done but requires the manufacturing of some special hardware in your shop.

Couple of points, install a pull cord on the lead master carrier so the pulling is not on the edge of the drop itself. Second, any painted drop will develop fold marks and creases and cracks unless painted very thin, almost like a watercolor wash or a dye job. HTH.

I've also done this for Nutcrackers (what is with those?). We always clamped boards to the sides of the drops and rigged stretcher ropes (as you would with a cyc) with a beaner or other easy release. Otherwise the ends always want to travel in a little and the drop will be wavy.

What is your reasoning to make these tracks into walk along tracks? That is usually the opposite way things go.

I'd be looking to possibly hang more than one drop on a track, and that's the simplest way I know of to do it. One of the schools that I work with uses a similar system with rented drops - the idea intrigued me.

Thanks everybody for the ideas! At least I know it's doable, and can mull that around for the next show! The only real issue I can come up with is the split track for the traveller. Perhaps I could look at adding track to the battens with the legs - that might end up being easier than splicing the others.

Again, thanks!

Chris

I'd be looking to possibly hang more than one drop on a track, and that's the simplest way I know of to do it. One of the schools that I work with uses a similar system with rented drops - the idea intrigued me.

Thanks everybody for the ideas! At least I know it's doable, and can mull that around for the next show! The only real issue I can come up with is the split track for the traveller. Perhaps I could look at adding track to the battens with the legs - that might end up being easier than splicing the others.

Again, thanks!

Chris
Again it depends on access to your rigging but you can loosen your hardware and slide the tracks and add a connector master to the middle to make it a single track. It does require going to the grid and sliding the rigging hardware down or up to allign it with the other side. At that point you could at least two drops on the single and stack one on each side of the stage. It is possible to add more drops if you have the runoff room to stack and masking to hide it. You can add a second to each side, slide the lead drop all the way to the other end and use the trail drop. Because you won't have the offstage side retained on the lead drop, you have to hold each end when deploying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back