Walkie Talkie and Intercom

brb8910

Hi there.
I am pretty new here, so I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

At the theatre I work at, they have a datavideo stage communication device with 4 wired headsets. It is pretty new but we haven't had much use for it except for small shows as the headsets are wired. We do use talkie talkies with headsets as the stage crew members need to move around.

What is the best way to connect these two systems together. We are just using regular walkie channels and we have 4 open ports on the data video device. I saw another previous thread regarding a clearcom device but I didn't know if that would work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Any make/model on your data video device? I have never heard of that manufacturer.

The simple answer is one you're not going to like -- you aren't going to be able to get your datavision devices to trigger the walkie transmit very easily. If your datavision works like clear com, it's an easy adapter to build from the walkie's analog output into your clear com, but the other direction is hard as you have to build a relay driven device that can trigger the walkie transmit selectively based on audio input level.

So I just looked at it today. It is a TD-100 Unit with 4 belt packs. I was worried that was the case and that the actual device wouldn't be able to take in the signals. For the walkie talkie trigger, I was looking at different models in which there is an auto sense to speak instead of push to talk. I am going to look more into it.

I've tried to get two-way radios and Clearcom/ProductionIntercom units to talk for years....purchasing the boxes both manufacturers sell never seems to work. We finally went the wireless Clearcom route (Tempest) and haven't had many issues in large hotels and convention centers. But you pay for it.

Few things here are you using professional motorola radios or similar on a fcc lisence frequency? ? If so you can do this with a two wore to 4 wire hybrid and some wiring on your end with a spare radio a mobile would work best ... if your familuar with Riedel intercom they make a premade unit ... but it's not that complicated ... I've done this for productions but your intercom unit has no real outputs that are usable for this purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back