Wallpaper

Zooey

I'm doing Steel Magnolias in a high school, and I picture Truvy's salon as having wallpapered walls. But somewhere along the line, I remember being discouraged from ever using actual wallpaper, and as I think about it, I can't really picture how I could attach it so it would be tight without gluing it, which I assume is undesirable (we intend to use flats). We could paint a wallpaper appearance, I guess.

But does anyone have experience with wallpaper, and/or advice?

Thanks.

I Love Wallpaper on sets. It's pretty easy to put up, most of it can be easily distressed, it comesoff with hot water and it's freaking CHEAP ! Surface prep is important! Be sure there is a base layer of paint on the flats. If you install paper on raw luan it will be really hard to pull off and there is a chance the oil from the wood < that icky yellow color> will bleed through. There are a TON of discount wallpaper places on the web. Dbl check your math when ordering as most places require you buy two rolls < they call it a double roll but you get charged for two rolls> not only for costs but also so you don't wind up with twice as much paper as you need.

Yes, wallpaper and soft-cover flats are contra-indicated. The other problem I have with most wallpaper patterns is one of scale--the pattern tends to disappear when viewed from a distance. I suppose it depends on the size of the theatre, and distance from audience to the set.

What I'd do is look through the sample books to find a pattern you think Truvy would like, and would have had Carl install when he enclosed the carport ten? years ago. Once you find the perfect pattern, you're probably going to want to exaggerate it and make a stencil. Some samples at this site.

Done wall paper many times as well. The higher quality stuff usually works better, especially fabric wallpaper. Just be sure to properly brace/hog trough the flats to keep them from tearing.

I have often used real wall paper. As others have said, hard cover with at least a prime coat of paint, never soft cover flats. The paste is a water base wheat paste so it can be taken off with warm water and a little time and labor.

Depending on the show, the design concept and the stage size and distance from the audience, look for a LARGE pattern. Scale is usually too small for good stage use. However, some patterns will have a large pattern laid over a smaller one. Plan on some paint work over the paper to tone and adjust the background for light from a window or other "apparent" light source, to darken an alcove or add shadows as if you were doing a scenic job. Think of transparent washes or subtle spatter jobs. Wall paper doesn't completely eliminate painting, but it makes a highly ornate job easy and quick, saving hours and even days of paint time.

If you find large patterns over laid, the right wash can make one pattern or the other fade or almost disappear so it "seems" like one large pattern. Some times a single, deep color, brush stroke or two in the same place of each pattern can enhance or "change the pattern effect. HTH.

Last edited:
Wallpaper is sold in a fairly standard roll size, although most of it is packaged in double or triple rolls. Mind the "repeat" as larger repeats will cause you to create more waste. A good rule of thumb is 3 - 5% waste if you're skilled at hanging, 5 - 10% waste if you have some skill and a repeat less than 6", 10 - 15% with 12" repeats, and 15% - 20% waste if you have repeats larger than 12". Maybe you'll get lucky and find a flocked paper, but be careful if it's old. The flocking may come off, although that may enhance the look on stage.

You can find stuff cheap at discount stores. Sometimes it's very old, so make sure the glue isn't cracked by looking at the backing. I always used glue anyway. Just easier to hang, IMO. Never fond of pre-pasted.

We have also used heavy weight patterned fabric for wallpaper. Often it is close to upholstery fabric or the like. We've also used light weight cheaper stuff when doing large areas. I think the last time it was done was certain interiors of Captain von Traps' house in Sound of Music.

We just did Superior Donuts and the Set Designer called for a "crumby looking" pressed tin ceiling. We were able to find a heavy, embossed, wallpaper that we then cut up into squares as per the pattern repeat. A little scenic technicque, a little spray90 and Viola'. Cutting it into squares really added a lot to the appearenc of water damage and curling edges of old tin.

I buillt a set for Paula Dean last summer and we attached wallpaper by stabling across the top and stretching hard then staple the bottom. We hd the staples with trim. The audience was fairly far away so it may not work with closer views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back