Wedding Pin spotting and uplighting

vincentx

Hello,

I am in need of pin spotting some floral centerpieces at a wedding and also setting up led uplights on the walls. I am starting out fresh and need all the equipment including the pin spot bar, the pin spot lights and the led uplights. Would you be kind to suggest the model and brandnames that I should look for and also where I can purchase these items. Thanks in advance.

If you think you'll be doing a lot of events where small pinspots will be useful I'd say buy MR16's or PAR 16's. First website Google gives me has a price of $40 for unit and lamp. They're pretty common so I don't have a brand or location to recommend, maybe someone else has preferences.

As far as LED's we're going to need a few more details. Are you going to be using them for architectural stuff like this all the time, or do you have any other intended purposes. Are you looking for really high end stuff, or are you looking for stuff that just gets the job done? Do you know if you want RGB, RGBAW, x7, etc... and if so which one are you looking for?

There's a new LED product released every week. I would look for something inexpensive that has good batching (consistency from one unit to the next), as most LED products are either:

a. too expensive to be competitive for uplighting, which everyone and their brother now offers

b. cheap products from Asia made by who knows

As for pinspots, most people use a Par 36. You can make the bars yourself.

are you in Los Angeles or Louisiana? If Los Angeles, make sure everything you buy is UL listed (really everything you buy should be listed regardless of your location)

Also, prepare to spend almost as much in accessories (cords, clamps, stands, floor bases, other hardware, cases, etc) as you do in fixtures.

Thank you for the replies. I am in CA. I found some Par 36 pin spot lights with 4515 bulbs on ebay .... since these spot lights will be used only for floral centerpieces I need to make sure that they will not blind the guests. Len can you please specify what parts I will need to purchase separately to put a nice bar together. I've read previous posts and it seems like its a hassle to hang the lights over each table but with the use of the bar the lighting will be coming from the sides and I am worried about blinding the guests. If anyone has any experience in setting this up I would appreciate some advice. Concerning the LED uplights we just need something to spice up the walls in the rooms and perhaps the backdrop as I see most Djs do.

Ebay is a pretty good source for things like this. Also try BulbAmerica. They are online as a standalone website and they also have an eBay store. Try to get your pinspots and LED's from them if possible, since they are an established company with a good reputation.

As far as blinding your guests with pinspots, yes that is possible (figuratively speaking) and odds are they will be in someone's eyes, no matter where you mount them. Re: lighting bars - you might look in to perforated angle iron at your local hardware store. It comes in all different lengths and it will be easy to mount the spots to since it already has holes in it. Perforated square tubing would probably work well also.

Remember that you should not dim pinspots due to the fact that they contain a transformer which will get aggravated if you put it on a dimmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back