What are these? (Gel extenders)

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
What are these things in the color frame clips of the upper three S4s?
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

62 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(Sorry for the external link. Can't seem to get flickr to let me embed the photo.)

Last edited:
Those are 'blinders'. They keep the Source4 from geting distracted or scared by something in thier peripherial vision. Very useful when mixing S4's and Vari-Lites, as the S4's have a tendencies to bolt when the Vari's go through thier initialization routine, and a panic'd herd of 30 degree's is not a pretty sight .

Thanks for using my photo for the question of the day :)

You're welcome, and thank you for posting it where I could find it.:)

Pork, I suspect what is pictured is the old style of color extender (based on the other "vintage" features of the S4 on the cut sheet), and that the M717 has been replaced by the 400GE/750GE. I'd never seen the M717 before, and have always used the City Theatrical version.

Those are 'blinders'. They keep the Source4 from geting distracted or scared by something in thier peripherial vision. Very useful when mixing S4's and Vari-Lites, as the S4's have a tendencies to bolt when the Vari's go through thier initialization routine, and a panic'd herd of 30 degree's is not a pretty sight .

Clever, Van. Very clever. You may move to the front of the class now....

*heh heh heh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure look like good old fationed 4-way barn doors, to me.
Color extenders << City Theatrical click on Lighting Accessories, click on Color Extenders in the menu on the left >> look like a top hat with a color frame holder on the front, i.e. tube shaped, not square.

Michael Powers, Project Manager, ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc., Des Moines, Iowa, Central Lighting & Equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back