Wireless What Are You Using for Rechargeables?

We use 18 Shure SLX systems in our larger shows (4 handhelds and up to 14 bodypacks). We use 2850mah Ansmann AA batteries and have been very happy. Originally we were going to use them only for rehearsals but they worked so well we use them for everything.

Energy 16 AA Kit

They also sell a nice rackmount charger, but it was a little out of our price range.

We did have to replace the batteries after a 15 months because they didn't keep a charge as long (down from 8+ to and 1-2), however we did keep them on the charger at all times.

The NiMH cells are also easy to recycle unlike their alkaline counterparts.

I know similar threads have been discussed here, but I couldn't find any less than 2-3 years old. Battery technology and user's habits change so I'm looking for more up-to-date info.

We go through lots of ProCells at my church. We'll usually have 6 handhelds and 6 IE receivers going. A typical Sunday morning will last 4.5-5.5 hours from installing batteries and turning on packs to the end of the last service. We use Shure UR2 handhelds and Shure P9R IE receivers. Plus we have two Telex wireless com packs which each use 6 AA.

I'd like to know what you've found as far as rechargeables and accompanying chargers that work well for you and saving you money. Thank you for any information you can post.

Personally, for most of our productions we can get two shows out of a set of batteries - those spent-ish batteries then go in a container for rehearsals later. I've found (at least with us) rechargeables don't do us much good for anything except the craptastic uhf wireless Telex units we have.

We also save our used, but good alkalines after performances. Our auditorium is home to a lecture-style high school class every day, so they use the used cells for mics during their class. Its not a big deal for them to swap batteries during class, so they don't mind if they aren't the freshest. We just make sure not to get the new and used cells mixed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back