Wireless What Are You Using for Rechargeables?

Repeater

I know similar threads have been discussed here, but I couldn't find any less than 2-3 years old. Battery technology and user's habits change so I'm looking for more up-to-date info.

We go through lots of ProCells at my church. We'll usually have 6 handhelds and 6 IE receivers going. A typical Sunday morning will last 4.5-5.5 hours from installing batteries and turning on packs to the end of the last service. We use Shure UR2 handhelds and Shure P9R IE receivers. Plus we have two Telex wireless com packs which each use 6 AA.

I'd like to know what you've found as far as rechargeables and accompanying chargers that work well for you and saving you money. Thank you for any information you can post.

I use the Energizer rechargeables with the 15 minute charger. They are Li-ion so there is no memory effect issues. I run them for practice only, but they last for ALL of the practices which last, in total, much longer than 5 hours. They have been great. After 3 uses they are paid off.

Generally, the longer the charge cycle the longer the life of the battery. Fast Chargers have to make the chemistry run fast so inevitably reduce the number of charge cycles in doing so...

As to what to use, I can't really offer any useful comment from experience...

We use fresh regular batteries for each show. We keep those used batteries to use for rehearsals. We swap out batteries at dinner break during rehearsals using a total of 2 sets of used batteries each day). This system has worked out well, logistically for us, and saves a lot of money.

~Dave

Funny you should ask. I went looking for replacement AA rechargeables for my ETC RRFU and found:

- My local Radio Shack had none, not even the house brand
- The local Target only sold rechargables with the recharger, which I didn't need as the RRFU charges the batteries.
- Local Duane Read ?, Zip.

I ended up at a CVS where I had to buy a 12 pack or some such, so it'll be a while before I need the other 8 or so.

So much for going green

Just finished prepping my 6th First National Tour that will be using Procells for both transmitters and comm. We'll use alkaline for back-ups and anytime the rechargeable test below 1.2v.

Just finished prepping my 6th First National Tour that will be using Procells for both transmitters and comm. We'll use alkaline for back-ups and anytime the rechargeable test below 1.2v.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all rechargeables start at 1.2v.

Rechargeable NiCd and NiMh test at around 1.2 volts under load. Open circuit they are always higher than that by a little. If they are 1.2 open circuit, they are not charged.

I use NiCd cells in our wireless mics during practices. I try to stick with brand name cells such as Sanyo Cadnica or Panasonic. Cadnicas have long been reliable, quality cells. They also don't seem to self-discharge as fast as off-brand cells. I use a PowerEx charger/analyzer for charging. I don't use NiMh cells because they seem to self discharge very fast and don't last for as many cycles.

I've started using low self-discharge (LSD) NiMh cells in other equipment and have had good results. I might start using them for wireless mics, but for now, I am happy with NiCd.

I still don't quite trust rechargeable cells during performances. I'm sure they would work fine (they always do during rehearsal), but still use brand-name alkalines during shows just to be safe.

For our AA needs, we use the Sanyo Eneloop low self discharge batteries and are very impressed with them. We can make it through 2 runs of a show easy before they need to be taken out of the wireless mics and charged.

For 9 colt, we use the Maha Powerex NiMH rechargeable batteries. They are nice, exactly the same size as a regular 9 volt and the voltage is almost the same as well. Have not tested the voltage myself, but we have never had any mics complain. We generally change these out between performances as they tend to get low after 1 show.

A note on batteries, you really only want to 'fast charge' them when you absolutely have to. As noted above, rechargable batteries really do want a nice slow charge.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all rechargeables start at 1.2v.

Nelson said it perfectly:
Nelson said:
Rechargeable NiCd and NiMh test at around 1.2 volts under load. Open circuit they are always higher than that by a little. If they are 1.2 open circuit, they are not charged.
If the batteries cannot hit 1.2v with just a meter attached I cannot trust the last recharge to hold 1.2 for the next few hours of sustained usage.

I said Procells, I meant Powerex in my previous post. Slip of the tongue.

I use rechargeable's here in my theatre. Recent years I have been buying Rayovac's Hybrid batteries. They changed them this past year and I decided to go with another brand, Varta. These AA are rated at 2700ma and seem to hold a good charge. I just got them so I can't tell you how they will last in the long run. I run AKG mics and they have drop in chargers that check, discharge (when needed) and charge the batteries.
I got them at an online express parts company. They are pricier than the others, but I think with the higher ratting I still come out ahead over ProCell's (which I use for musicals)

For those of you looking at getting a better battery charger than what comes with your pack of 4 AA batteries, look into the battery chargers from LaCrosse.

I own a BC-700 and having the ability to charge, discharge, test and cycle your batteries is really cool. You can also select the rate it charges. I generally stick with 200mAh, but it will go all the way up to 700mAh, for those times you actually need a quick charge.

Audio Technica now has a charging station that's quite convenient.

proxy.php

For those of you looking at getting a better battery charger than what comes with your pack of 4 AA batteries, look into the battery chargers from LaCrosse.

I own a BC-700 and having the ability to charge, discharge, test and cycle your batteries is really cool. You can also select the rate it charges. I generally stick with 200mAh, but it will go all the way up to 700mAh, for those times you actually need a quick charge.

I have a similar charger from Maha Powerex: MAHA / POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA / AAA

It is great for people that want a scientific approach to NiCd/NiMh charging and maintenance.

Before cells are used even for a rehearsal, I run them through a refresh/analyze cycle just to be sure they are fully charged and at adequate capacity. If cells have been stored for a long time or are completely dead, the break-in cycle slow charges the cells and reports their capacity. If I am forced to fast charge cells, at least this charger is smart enough to stop charging the cell once it is charged.

Does anyone have any experience with the Duracell rechargeables? In the reviews on their website, users report big problems with the 2650 mAh AAs but love the 2450 mAh AA batteries. I'm more of an Energizer fan, but I didn't see anything that compares to the Duracells.

Duracell

We use alkaline for our mic packs which are Sennheiser units with 9V batteries for the most part.

If I was specking out rechargeable options for AA mic packs I would use Sanyo Eneloop cells along with Maha or LaCrosse chargers.

I use Eneloops in my keyboard and track pad and they last months before charge cycles.

I appreciate all of the replies.

Maybe this would warrant a new thread--but it would be nice to know why you've stuck with alkalines, and not moved to some type of rechargeable.

I use alkalines for performances because that's what I've always used and they work! I don't have a better excuse. Maybe I will start using rechargeables more often.

If I was specking out rechargeable options for AA mic packs I would use Sanyo Eneloop cells along with Maha or LaCrosse chargers.

From the research I did online, I think I'll go with the Eneloop batteries and LaCrosse charger. I'm switching because I always thought it was such a waste to buy a lot of "use once and throw away" alkaline batteries for a show. It was not only expensive, but it seemed like not a very environmental friendly thing to do.

Where do you suggest I buy them? Should I just go to the manufacturer's web site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back