What do you do with electrical cable on the catwalk?

My catwalks have a lot of steel and pipe structure overhead. It's easy to go up and over to the other side of the catwalk. A little gaff or tie line and it's all neat and pretty.

In a space that I work in with catwalks, theres no structure overhead so we tie the cable neatly down the supports for the hand and foot rails, then across the grating of catwalks and backup the supports on the other side. making sure its neat and secure to avoid tripping hazards.

Mostly we keep cabling to a minimum and rarely need more than a 6' extension. Cables are routed up and over if we need to cross the walkway. Otherwise we just lay neatly along the side. Our catwalk is 2.1 metres wide.

In those situations I'll often go underneath the catwalk. Tie it up neatly on both sides, and if you can reach it between the grating, tie it in the middle as well to keep it neat and routed nicely.

Can't say I've even been expressly forbidden from laying cable on a catwalk. Even in my most stringent experience, as long as it was neatly dressed, tied down/taped over excessively, and cables were grouped into as few crossing as possible, the PM was happy. OTOH I've seen cable run is some places every which way, which I never allow. I personally always try to keep cable neat, run along the sides when possible, avoid crossing whenever possible, and always tie excess cable to the rails instead of just coiling it on the floor. Sometimes i have the time to tie all the runs to the railing, other shows the rail is too packed or there just isn't time. Passing cable under a catwalk just seems like a pain. As for cabling overhead, how are you getting it high enough so that taller members of the crew don't run into it? Catwalks often more than enough things to duck and maneuver around, why add more? Not to mention routing up and over would necessitate the use of longer cable.

Sorry, until I work in a venue where it is forbidden, I will continue to lay cable on cats as neatly, cleanly and unobtrusively as possible. Catwalks should always be a restricted area, and if a run crew member MUST go up in the cats, say to drop leaves or snow, then create a safe, illuminated, clear and marked passage.

Is the only reason not to lay on catwalk due to tripping reasons, or am I missing something? I would hope anyone in a catwalk is always aware of where they are walking, and know there will be loose cables around.

As far as I know, the only reason is the tripping hazard, which could also be said to be a fire hazard. Even the most aware person may stop paying attention to their feet while grabbing the next fixture that needs hanging. Always better to be safe than sorry. Around here I run cables under the catwalk even though there are only about three times a year that anyone other than me goes up there.

At a local theatre I work in we took 6 in PVC and cut it in half. Drilled 4 holes in it and zip tied it to the catwalk grating as close to the raceways or pipes as I could. Creates a nice hogs trough and keeps cable nice and pretty.

Is the only reason not to lay on catwalk due to tripping reasons, or am I missing something? I would hope anyone in a catwalk is always aware of where they are walking, and know there will be loose cables around.

*LAUGH* This posts wins for the greatest optimism & or naivete! One would "Hope" someone would always be aware of where they are walking, but you don't assume it when safety comes into play. My electricians and I always knew there was a large HVAC pipe in the grid, and yet we always hit our head. When safety is concerned, it's foolish to make assumptions. This is why Safety Chain exists, and why OSHA is in business.

*LAUGH* This posts wins for the greatest optimism & or naivete! One would "Hope" someone would always be aware of where they are walking, but you don't assume it when safety comes into play. My electricians and I always knew there was a large HVAC pipe in the grid, and yet we always hit our head. When safety is concerned, it's foolish to make assumptions. This is why Safety Chain exists, and why OSHA is in business.

Not to mention people working on catwalks often don't have much light to see by, may be carrying something a bunch of cable or a couple lights, may have someone shouting up to them from below, and may be coming up on hour 14 of a 18-hour work day and beginning to drag their feet when they walk. They may be so unfortunate as to have all of those things going on at once.

I spent a lot of time on catwalks (and crawling across plaster in attics and up some odd side "structures" at the YRT for a while) so tend to not yield much on their design as a consultant now. Solid decks painted bright colors, high rails for bridging cable over if getting across is probable (thrust, catwalks over stages, etc), and long pigtails.

... One would "Hope" someone would always be aware of where they are walking, ...
Just last night I tripped/stumbled over a *black* yellow jacket (Why does anyone even make a BLACK cable ramp?:evil:) on black carpet, surrounded by black drapery, in the dark.

I have no problem with cable on a catwalk; one can't expect 30-40 runs of multi-cable to be tied up overhead; it's those pesky 8-way hoist controllers that sneak up on me.

Just keep it as neat as possible, in a single layer (rivers of Socapex), and tie up all coils to the side rails.

1,000 times thank you. I hate grid, hate hate hate grid.
Cheese grater for the knees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back