Design What does this mean?

decoss

I'm an extreme rookie and in charge of setting up a show for our jazz festival. One of the performer's stage plot calls for :

6 x 10 Par64 CP 52 MFL
6 x 10 Par64 CP 61 NSP

I understand the Par 64 part, but the CP.... Can sombody help me out?

Thanks

Looks to be a lamp type, not sure tho. I found a bunch on google, and I would assume that if you were to use standard PAR lamps at 1kw, you would be fine.

I'm an extreme rookie and in charge of setting up a show for our jazz festival. One of the performer's stage plot calls for :

6 x 10 Par64 CP 52 MFL
6 x 10 Par64 CP 61 NSP

I understand the Par 64 part, but the CP.... Can sombody help me out?

Thanks

CP designations for PAR64 lamps are Euro terminology.

Here's a website that explains the lamps:

PAR 64 Bulbs – A Guide to PAR 64 Lamp Sizes - On Stage Lighting

I would assume the CP52 is a typo and is supposed to be CP62, as that's a medium in Euro code.

Rosco, Gam, Apollo, Lee???

R61 Blue Mist
L061 Blue Mist ( these two are virtually intercahngable)

R52 Light Lavender
L052 Light Lavender (" ")

Yeah I'm totally over thinking it, just drop the colors, if those are supposed to be colors, in the fixtures and call it a day.

Definitely lamp type - nothing to do with colours. I think Steve is right in saying that the CP52 is a typo - that would correspond with the MFL and NSP indicators. I don't know if they're the same in the States as they are here in New Zealand (and in Britain) but a CP62 looks like an old-school car headlight:
proxy.php

and a CP61 has a frosted lens:
proxy.php

kiwitechgirl, they're the same in the US.

I don't know why SteveB's link disappeared, (probably something to do with not allowing linking, or sharing of knowledge):
A Guide to PAR64 Lamp Sizes--On Stage Lighting.

Here's a a summary.

CP60=VNSP, FFN, clear lens
CP61=NSP, FFP, frosted
CP62=MFL, FFR, 8 rows of lenticular lines
CP95=WFL, FFS, 12 rows of lenticular lines

From PAR 64 Bulbs – A Guide to PAR 64 Lamp Sizes - On Stage Lighting :
Here is a brief rundown of PAR 64 lamps, the beam angles are approximate and are the most “useful” largest part of the ellipse due to the nature of the PAR lamp beam shape:

• CP60 VNSP PAR 64 Lamp – Very Narrow Spot. Beam Angle 12° approx. This PAR 64 lamp is good for really tight spots, thin light beams cutting through smoke or streaking across stage set/cloths. Also used on large music stages to provide spotlights to hightlight individual band members. The CP60 PAR lamp gives a really intense “splat” of light that can be a bit striated (streaky) across flat surfaces.
  • CP61 NSP PAR 64 Lamp – Narrow Spot. Beam Angle 14° approx. The CP61 is the general spotlight of the PAR 64 family producing a tight beam of light that has more uses than the CP60. This lamp is a useful tage spotlight and makes fairly good beam structures in smoke. Could be used to for colour washes with a large throw distance ( further than 8m) although you would need a fair few CP61 PAR lamps to do this.
  • CP62 MFL PAR 64 Lamp – Medium Flood. Beam Angle 24° approx. CP62 PAR lamps are pretty much everywhere doing jobs such as colour washes onstage, uplighting bits of set as well as spotlighting people onstage. These bulbs are great for washing intense colour around a stage or lighting up columns or architecture. The beam of this PAR lamp is extremely elliptical and their orientation, like other PAR bulbs, is set by spinning the bulb inside the PAR Can.
  • EXG PAR 64 Lamp – Wide Flood. Beam Angle 50°(?) approx. A wider flood PAR that can be used to colour washing with shorter throw distances though it can lack intensity. Used with a short nosed PAR Can. This PAR lamp is not too useful.
  • CP95 WFL PAR 64 Lamp – Wide Flood. Beam Angle 70°(?) approx. This PAR lamp is pretty darn wide, meaning that is lights all over the place but lack the punch and intensity of other PAR lamps. The CP95 is only useful when you needed a good sized beam of light, lit from very close. To get full width of this PAR bulb, use a short nose PAR can.
  • Raylight Reflectors – The Devil In PAR lamps. Beam Angle – Who cares? The raylight reflector is a cheap parabolic reflector with no front lens, designed to accomodate a quartz halogen “standard” stage lighting bulb, often 500 watts. These PAR lamps produce a messy “splot” of light that is both horrible and burns out gels like anything especially in short nosed PAR cans. OK for beams in smoke (until the colour burns out, that is). Don’t buy.

Read more on PAR 64 Bulbs – A Guide to PAR 64 Lamp Sizes - On Stage Lighting by null
By the way, I disagree with the author on Raylight Reflectors, and have never heard of the EXG PAR lamp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back