Installs What is everyone's actual setup like?

Ikevis

The more I read about what you guys all have, like racks of 5 amps, I'm wondering how messed up my schools system is. We have an old behringer board, 2 comps. eq, computer now in back. 10 Wireless mics none of us really know how to work except turn on.(im learning now in case something breaks) with an installed snake up to stage. Backstage we have a QSC2450 amp running to what i think are some old 8 ohm speakers(so were getting half of the wattage out of the amp we could, i think, but its plenty.) We also have the school's old ceiling speakers which rattle and sound bad + their rack mounted board. I'm trying to phase that system out, but we have wireless mics pretty much embedded with that system which I have to use for assemblies every so often. I want to buy some speakers to place further back in the somewhat linear auditorium to reach the balcony, but can't seem to find anything except line arrays(Is this a good idea for an auditorium? Link - TOA HX-5B Speaker & more Line Array Loudspeakers within Pro Audio Loudspeakers at www.ProAcousticsUsa.com). Anyone know of any column speakers, or is this the wrong approach?

So basically I want you to tell me how much our setup sucks, and brag about yours so I can figure out what we are doing wrong. Thanks!

Last edited:
While there may be many similarities between similar situations, every situation is different. From the age of the system to the budget to the applications to the room the system is in and many other factors, there is no 'one size fits all' solution.

It sounds like you may be at a good point to consider bringing in a professional to help you assess the existing systems and assist in putting together a plan for the future. The speakers are a good example, before looking at specific products it makes sense to look at what you have and where you want to go so that anything you do fits that longer term vision. It also probably makes sense to gather or generate any documentation you can of the existing system so that you can assess what might be practical to change or required to support any changes.

As far as what speakers may work, that's hard to say without knowing anything about the venue, the applications, the expectations, the budget, etc. Adding some balcony fill speakers may be a good option, no way to know from the current information, but doing so usually involves more than just the speakers to include providing appropriate amplification, signal processing and signal routing/mixing. And of course, the application of the products is just as important as the products themselves.

Feel free to ping me about your wireless...

Brad is spot on as usual. Spend a lot of time trying to determine what the intended use of the room will be, and thus the need for sound reenforcement. Every situation has similarities but not every situation is the same. If a consultant comes to you with a cookie cutter system on paper (which still has the name from the last job in it) be careful. Your consultant should ask lots of questions about how the system will be used and not what type speaker or console you want. Always fit the system to your needs. Intended use, budget, acoustic characteristics of the room ect.

I was also kinda aking what you guys use? I appreciate the advice and offers for help, and I can do my own research when I get to that point. I would like some examples of a typical, professional setup if that wouldn't be too hard. Maybe just name what equipment you have.

Go to the venue page of our web site and our basic specs are there. But as you are looking keep in mind all the shows you see advertised on the front page. We are a High School venue with very strong support for national touring concerts and theater. Thus the reason we speced such high end gear. We have avoided having to rent PA in many cases, thus reducing the ticket price to our customers. The other payoff is our students get to operate pro gear and transfure that knowledge forward. Our stage will have at least 50 performances this year. That does not include rehersals, just dates where an audience will show up to watch an event.

I would like some examples of a typical, professional setup if that wouldn't be too hard. Maybe just name what equipment you have.
Why? A rough analogy is that I can tell you what car I drive or what appliances I have in my house but that does not mean that information will be at all relevant to you as your needs, budget, goals and so forth may be drastically different. Even what is available to you may be different. The same goes for audio systems and other than possibly tech rider acceptance, focusing on products without considering the application almost inevitably leads to less effective results.

When I start a project the first step is a Needs Analysis or Program. The Needs Analysis describes the functional goals and requirements defined for the project, the information that then later serves as the basis for any design and product selection. This is completed and agreed upon by everyone involved before any design or product selection starts. If the Owner defines specific equipment as a need or desire, which often happens, then that is included as part of the Needs Analysis but is subject to verification and I have had projects where I went back to the Owner to inform them that the equipment they identified was simply inappropriate for the application. Wen that happens I give them a choice, I can select more appropriate equipment or I can design around their request but be released from responsibility for the results. I actually had one project that virtually the only input offered was some brand and model names the TD provided without any input on or consideration of the desired functionality or the application (at that point there was not even yet a design for the space). I informed the Owner that I could not want be responsible for or have my name associated with a system designed on such a basis and offered to either design what I believed was appropriate for the actual venue needs and use or to step down from the project. Turned out the Owner cared more about the system working.

I'll use the TOA speaker you noted as an example, here's the actual manufacturer's information, TOA HX-5 Compact Array Speakers - Variable Dispersion!. That particular speaker can be a good solution in the right application, however it can be a less than effective option if improperly applied. For example, the horizontal pattern is over 100 degrees for much of the speech frequency range, so it might not be the best solution in a narrow room or an acoustically live space. The low frequency response is such that it is best used for speech only applications or with some supplemental low frequency system if music is involved. I could go on but the point is that in everything from the mics through to the speakers, one cannot really separate the equipment used from it supporting the specifics of the application, what is a great solution in one application could be a disaster in another.

I appreciate the advice and offers for help, and I can do my own research when I get to that point.
I'm not sure what you mean here, hopefully you aren't thinking that a little bit of research can replace specialized education and training and years of experience.

Ikevis, can you post a little more information: state the dimensions of the theater, seating arrangment, maybe post a couple pics -- one from rear of house facing the stage, and one from the stage facing rear of house -- and what kind of budget you have for new equipment (e.g. $100, or $10k?).

Hearing about the in-ceiling speakers and Behringer board gives us some kind of idea on the attention that's been paid there so far ... what would help next is to understand what's desired and what can be done with the existing room.

Thanks. John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back