What Is It #1984v2.1Beta

museav

CBMod
CB Mods
Departed Member
To some it will be obvious but others may have never seen one...

[DL note: Remember-Students only--preferably those 18 and under, for at least a week.]

Attachments

• Thingie.JPG
    Thingie.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 1,092
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like something to do with a miter box. but I'm going to guess that's probably not accurate

I'm the fastest in the West with one of those!

I've seen this before on a reel-to-reel tape recorder, it is to let you make a straight cut by guiding a really sharp knife through for splicing multiple tapes together.

I'm the fastest in the West with one of those!

We should set up an old-fart speed contest!

We can include operation of the device in question (using both the cheaper accessories and the preferred but more expensive ones), and rotary phone speed dialing for bonus points.

During the contest, we'll keep in touch with an intercom system that uses Western Electric Type 52 headsets.

The time machine effect should be complete.

:)

Cheers

ST

We should set up an old-fart speed contest!

We can include operation of the device in question (using both the cheaper accessories and the preferred but more expensive ones), and rotary phone speed dialing for bonus points.

During the contest, we'll keep in touch with an intercom system that uses Western Electric Type 52 headsets.

The time machine effect should be complete.

:)

Cheers

ST

Can we lash some flats together too?

Or make a flat with clout nails?

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I'll chime in here. It was designed by a guy name of Joel Tall, and it was called the EdiTall splicing block.
(And, does anybody know where I can get a few rolls of 15/32" 3M 41 tape? Mine's all dried out.)

And when you get your old-fart contest going, let me know. I've still got a LARGE box of WE 52A headsets and about 10# of clout nails. And my desk phone is a WE302. Works like a charm and has for the last 40 years.

Wow I fell kinda dumb now. I guess my puny little 15 year old mind can't comprehend any video or media editing technology that doesent have a computer screen.

Let me know if you need some vintage tube amps and horns for the arena PA for your old fart contest....

rotary phone speed dialing for bonus points.

You know what's no fun? Dialing a long distance number using one of those 10-10-2-20 codes on a rotary.

Last edited:
For bonus points, who was the manufacturer and what was the trade name of the device?
Mine came from Radio Shack, and had little arms to hold down the "media" on each side of the "splice". One side had 1/4" groove, the other 1/8" (for cassette tape). Trade name "EZ-Splice", "Qwik-Splice", or something similar?

In college I used a more advanced model that would chop the 45° angle, then when one pulled the top head closer it would make two parallel cuts, removing the excess adhesion media. Significantly safer than a single-edged razor blade. Similar to this one:
8716-what-1984v2-1beta-4796_tape_splice_block_002_1.jpg

but I believe it was made by Ampex, 3M, or BASF. Or maybe Maxell or Memorex.

We were poor then--I remember spending hours on end "recycling" leader tape. The things one can make an unpaid college student do. I also straightened bent nails, and chased threads on carriage bolts with a die. Barefoot, in the snow. Uphill, both ways. ;)

Attachments

• 4796_tape_splice_block_002_1.jpg
    4796_tape_splice_block_002_1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,046
Last edited:
Up in our now-abandoned projection booth we have a table with slots for reels of film, and a marble block inlaid to provide a cutting surface for splice cuts. I'll see your "40 years ago" and raise you 1928.

Apparently Edi-Tall became part of Xedit and the Xedit EdiTall was one of the better known products, but many reel-to-reel decks (e.g. the Otari MX-5050 and Revox B77) had integrated blocks. Bit of trivia, Xedit Corporation is still around in the form of Servoreeler Systems.

I remember one college theatre sound class assignment being to take a speech that was on vinyl, transfer that to 1/4" tape and then edit out one specific "not". Tape, be it reel-to-reel or cart, was the primary production media at that time.

I'll be careful how much I say since I'm not a student, but my audio tape splicing blocks only have two blade grooves; one at 90 and one at 45(?) degrees. Since this has three, I don't necessarily think it is for audio tape, at least not for 1/4" tape. Though I'm only 24, I work with old media and old equipment fairly often. If you get that time machine going, I'll call in with my working 1A2 key system! (Though all my phones are touch-tone, no rotaries).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back