Microphones What is the black cylinder on a Shure condenser microphone called

facethewolf

I love Amazon, but if you don't know the proper term for what you are looking for, you aren't going to find it.
I found a shure condenser boundary mic at a flea market in great condition, but it didn't have that black cylinder thing that connects to an XLR cable. I've always called it the power supply.
Questions: what is that thing actually called so that I may search for it?
Is it sold individually on AMazon or elsewhere?
Just to be sure, I don't think those cylinders are model specific. Any Shure condenser (that has that little plug) can plug into any black cylinder, right?
Thank you very much.
Sean

Sounds like you're describing a Shure RPM 626 In-line microphone preamplifier
proxy.php

but I'm not sure that's what you really want/need.

That's exactly what I'm describing. Thank you very much. It's a PreAmp. Now I know what to search for.

Condenser mics require an electronic circuit to convert the super-high impedance signal coming off of the film in the mice element to a stable low impedance balanced line output. Most times the mic element contains the first stage of the FET based preamp, but when size matters, the support electronics and balanced line driver is in a separate case. Calling it a preamplifier is a little vague, but they probably wanted to use a term that everyone understood. (More of a low-Z line driver.)

I love Amazon, but if you don't know the proper term for what you are looking for, you aren't going to find it.
I found a shure condenser boundary mic at a flea market in great condition, but it didn't have that black cylinder thing that connects to an XLR cable. I've always called it the power supply.
Questions: what is that thing actually called so that I may search for it?
Is it sold individually on AMazon or elsewhere?
Just to be sure, I don't think those cylinders are model specific. Any Shure condenser (that has that little plug) can plug into any black cylinder, right?
Thank you very much.
Sean

Which mics specificly? The one derek posted is for the Beta98... not all "preamps" are the same. If you have a PZM mic you will want to get one made for that line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back