What is this?

blalew

I have some idea but I'd like to confirm it.

Also, if you could let me know who left a box of them behind at our last production, I'd be much obliged! ;)
thingy.jpg

Looks like a backdrop bundle wrapper. Used to bundle the drop into itself, velcro holds it together, then the ties tie to pipe for storage. Always a bunch of these used across a drop.

Other method is to keep every 5th tie or so of a drop tied to the pipe, then release all the other ties and bundle up the drop, using the free ties to keep it all in a bundle.

SB

Looks like a backdrop bundle wrapper. Used to bundle the drop into itself, velcro holds it together, then the ties tie to pipe for storage. Always a bunch of these used across a drop.

Other method is to keep every 5th tie or so of a drop tied to the pipe, then release all the other ties and bundle up the drop, using the free ties to keep it all in a bundle.
Some would call the process described westcoasting. See the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery-props-rigging/19635-westcoasting.html as well as the wiki definition.

Last edited:
"Spin the box" really, meatpopsicle? How stupid do you think we (those) left-coasters are? {Rhetorical; no need for a response.}

See westcoasting, definition #2.

Some would call the process described westcoasting. See the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery-props-rigging/19635-westcoasting.html as well as the wiki definition.

Us east coasters still cannot figure out if West Coasting is bundling as we've described, OR the practice of loading multi cable to a road box, and/or a piece of soft scenic goods being gathered into a hamper(s) as the pipe is being flown in. Which is the usual usage round these parts.

SB

I would love it if all of these terms could be universal in all houses, it is fun trying to explain to students how you can west coast a soft good, unless you happen to be on the east coast, in which case you better ask what they think it means before you start to move the pipe.
Does anybody know where this term came from?
And why there is no Eastcoasting?

Does anybody know where this term came from?
And why there is no Eastcoasting?

That's because the only good things coming from the east coast are crab cakes and lobster. :drool:

Of course, this thread does contain some more pertinent information. http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery-props-rigging/19635-westcoasting.html

From that thread, DerekLeffew noted some origins he had heard of:

I think I first heard the term in the mid '80s in Chicago used by techs from Des Moines Ballet (thus my neutrality).

Explanations/rationalizations/origins I've heard (both of which relate to New Yorkers' fallacy of superiority):
1. Theatres on the west coast had lower fly towers, supposedly due to frequency of earthquakes.
2. Since tours primarily moved from east to west, the last stop would usually be on the west coast.

Now, I'm going to go make some crab cakes while you read. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back