What should they know?

MRW Lights

It's that time of year again - School starts on Monday and at this time of the year I like to poll my communities for things you'd like students to learn, or things you wish you someone had taught you?

I specifically teach Audio for Film and Television, but I also oversee our recording studios and manage the lighting for all of our facilities. While these days I focus on broadcasting I work very closely with our Performing Arts Departments and am happy to share any ideas with them as well. Feel free to share what you know, want to know or wish you knew.

1. What's something you would like students to learn about Entertainment Production?

2. What's something you wish you would have been taught about Entertainment Production?

Since your teaching situation crosses the border of live vs studio - specific audio differences between those two situations.
When working in corporate events, we got alot of workers who came from studio work and didn't understand mic placement, different mic usecases, and most importantly gain structure.

How to be polite and respectful. There is your first challenge.
Then Stage language such as up stage, down stage, SL and SR just to name a few.
On the lighting generic lighting fixtures like par, profiles, fresnel, moving wash, moving spot/beam
For audio generic mic types and patterns.
That is what I find lacking from young people when they start out in this world.
Have a great day.
Geoff

Since your teaching situation crosses the border of live vs studio - specific audio differences between those two situations.
When working in corporate events, we got alot of workers who came from studio work and didn't understand mic placement, different mic usecases, and most importantly gain structure.

If I could teach one thing and have it be understood it would be gain structure. Also, how gain structure still applies in broadcasting even without a PA... maybe even more so if we're being honest.

Basic troubleshooting skills. I find that no matter the discipline, working with complex systems absolutely neccessitates good troubleshooting capability.

Basic troubleshooting skills. I find that no matter the discipline, working with complex systems absolutely neccessitates good troubleshooting capability.
Understanding that complex systems are just lots of simple systems in combination. Good troubleshooting skills are very important. Add to that start simple and then work towards hard solutions and only change one thing at a time. That way when you find the problem it is obvious. if you have changed 5 things and it works, how did you fix it?

Audio mixing is an active sport. It’s not just set the levels at sound check and then turn mics on and off. Active listening, adjusting, and listening some more. But for the love of all things good in this world know the difference between adjusting and fiddling. They are as much a part of the production as the performers are and should be as - if not more - focused.

A suggestion and a question

Suggestion - Talk about setting up computer networks.

Question - ( not a sound guy) can you give me a definition of 'gain structure' I am not familiar with the term.

A suggestion and a question

Suggestion - Talk about setting up computer networks.

Question - ( not a sound guy) can you give me a definition of 'gain structure' I am not familiar with the term.
Between the microphones and the speakers, recording, or other system output, there are multiple adjustments that affect the over all level. Just to name a few, preamp gain, compressor settings, fader level, buss master, processor input/output, amplifier input, etc. There are multiple ways to get the same result, but also pitfalls such as lack of headroom or excessive electronic noise.

Here is what I'd add to the curriculum. Know the difference between RMS, peak, VU, PPM, LUFS, true peak, dBu, dBV, dBm, SPL. An understanding of various types of analog input and output topologies, balanced, unbalanced, impedance balanced, transformers, and how to mix various types, and what common mode rejection is. Wiring and grounding to prevent noise in system interfacing. RF basics for wireless mics and wireless monitoring. The pitfalls of excessive loudness in mastering.

Metering and/or dynamics processing: Mike Dorrough was still alive the last time I looked, maybe we can get an interview with him for posterity? I can't find an obit for Bob Orban, either. Another interview?

Metering and/or dynamics processing: Mike Dorrough was still alive the last time I looked, maybe we can get an interview with him for posterity? I can't find an obit for Bob Orban, either. Another interview?
Bob Orban is still alive, but I haven't seen any writings from him for a few years. He made giant leaps forward in broadcast audio processing. Several of his inventions were nothing short of revolutionary. He sold the company, but the new products haven't strayed far from his designs. Most of the presets still have Bob's sound and I wouldn't buy anything else.

It's a small world.
But at the same time a large one - there's a whole world outside your borders where you might want to work in future, or might want to come in to your venue, so a passing knowledge at least of the differences between your own working methods and those of other countries could be useful (e.g. electrical systems).

@StradivariusBone said the right things.

Not to demean formal education, but all the technical knowhow will be learned and relearned as the tech evolves along with best practices. Knowing the answer is far less important than know how to find the answer. So, diagnostics and troubleshooting are better than having every piece of information.

I've got a doctor friend who said its been crazy to watch the transition in how interns are assessed. Used to be that the smartest intern knew the most answers. With the advent of google on your phone, now the smartest intern finds the most accurate answers the fastest.

@Crisp image said it well too. I had the unfortunate opportunity to watch a coworker bake himself a large humble pie and eat the whole thing. Turns out our female superior was in fact far more knowledgeable and competent at the task. Its free to be polite, arrogance gets pricey...

Golly, I wonder if there is a meme or something that has a Humble Pie recipe? Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back