What the hell is this truss?

DJHiggumz

I picked up some more of this trussing for $125. I had 10 before, but now I have 30. it seems there is alot of this in Wisconsin and Illinois. anyways there isn't anything on it for a label but the load rating, which if you are curious, for a 40 ft span it is 450lbs center point load. the outer tubes are 1'' and it is 14'' wide. the pattern for the crossmembers are like this [/[/[/ if you can't see it in the pic haha. so on each side they don't oppose eachother, they slant the same way. can anyone give me a brand name for this?

133990_540160246009490_1143458711_o.jpg

... anyways there isn't anything on it for a label but the load rating, which if you are curious, for a 40 ft span it is 450lbs center point load. ...
Without a manufacturer's name on the label, all other information is meaningless, and NOT TO be trusted. Likely someone in Wisconsin and Illinois has a relationship with a factory in Asia, or an aluminum welding setup in his/her garage.

It's triangular, right? It reminds me of trussing from a company called, I think, Universal Lighting Truss, that was very popular for light-duty use in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Without a manufacturer's name on the label, all other information is meaningless, and NOT TO be trusted. Likely someone in Wisconsin and Illinois has a relationship with a factory in Asia, or an aluminum welding setup in his/her garage.

It's triangular, right? It reminds me of trussing from a company called, I think, Universal Lighting Truss, that was very popular for light-duty use in the 1980s.

it is Universal Lighting Truss, the load rating decal is identical to the one on the page. thanks!

it is Universal Lighting Truss, the load rating decal is identical to the one on the page. thanks!

Decal looking identical to a known manufacturer but missing the name sounds like an Asian knock-off to me. If there is no name on the truss and the seller can't provide you with the original purchase documents I don't think you should use it. On the other hand hopefully you can recoup most of your $125 if you sell it off as scrap aluminum.

I understand that. that is why I have insurance, to protect me. right now I have it extremely underutilized, I have a total of 120lbs between a 20ft span (5ft overhang over each of the stands). I know it isn't ideal, but it is the cards I'm dealt.

I would love to have a spare piece! I had a chance at 5 10' sections of it for 250, but the guy ended up selling it to a school behind my back. this was before these ones of course

maybe I should clear this up, I don't work at a theatre, but I am a DJ. in this industry there isn't so many restrictions that you may have.
Something you'll never hear an emergency room doctor say: "Oh, in that case, he's not really dead."

Now granted you're not going to be loading this truss up with 100 lbs. moving lights on 21" centers, then flying it 30' over audience members heads, BUT failure is failure and injury is injury. The mobile DJ industry is not exempt from the laws and effects of gravity.
It might be noted that most if not all of the safety measures imposed on the theatre and live entertainment industry have come from within, from organizations like USITT, PLASA, and ESTA, not from outside sources. Case in point: there's no specific legal or code requirement requiring the use of a safety cable on every luminaire, but it's standard, accepted practice. I'd guess over 99% of the industry complies. How many DJs use safety cables? Hopefully most, but I really have no idea.

OTOH, there are ANSI specifications for portable trusses used to support lighting equipment. ANSI E1.2 - 2006 Entertainment Technology - Design, Manufacture and Use of Aluminum Trusses and Towers.

I understand the worry on the issue. I'm not saying that because I have insurance I can do whatever I please, but if I have an accident it falls on my ass because it hurts my business. I take the necessary precautions, because it's my business, and my money invested. If i felt it was not safe, I wouldn't go through with it

I understand the worry on the issue. I'm not saying that because I have insurance I can do whatever I please, but if I have an accident it falls on my ass because it hurts my business. I take the necessary precautions, because it's my business, and my money invested. If i felt it was not safe, I wouldn't go through with it

It's not just the business that will suffer if it fails. What about any people below it?

I worked lighting for an Ernie Haase & Signature Sound Quartet concert (semi-famous gospel band) and the LD for them brought in some triangular truss. i was actually impressed with its load capacity and how quickly it all went together. We had around 100 ft of trussing set up within 20 minutes. They held up two elation moving heads, suspended from the top of the truss( two pieces were connected via a horizontal cross beam) and did fairly well. Not sure of the original manufacturer, but this truss kind of looks like the stuff they brought in.

I'm with Phil on this one regarding the junk sold at "music stores" or heaven forbid, eBay. That "ladder truss" with the cheap plastic couplings -- hate it.

At least make sure you have nice t-stands, which it appears that you do. Those present the most danger.

actually, with the lights hanging off the front of the truss, the pipes flex a little to far for me to feel comfortable. at that gig I set them down a foot. now I am looking for some crankstands to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back