What to do when waiting for a show to start

There's no wifi backstage (probably a good thing), so after I do a preshow check of props and make sure everything on stage is set, I sit back and joke around on headset and/or read whatever Chuck Palahniuk book I happened to grab off my bedroom floor that morning...

Doing stuff that are not allowed during the show or when the show start. Like texting, talking in the phone or eating. I actually do all things that i want to do before the show starts. Because I want my full concentration and attention to the show. Besides, I don't pay a token of dime or ticket to waste or messed up the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually read manuals after everything is checked, or flip through my backstage handbook and try to memorize some of the useful stuff. If I am particularly bored I do knot work- making things like trinity knots and monkeys fists (monkeys fists are useful for heaving lines). This is only in the last half hr before show opens and house is usually on it's way in. All my checks are done long before house is open.

On a side note - if anyone knows where I can get small (1/2" diameter) Depleted Uranium spheres I would really like to get my hands n one. I been looking to see if I can find them for a monkeys fist and I have come up blank for spheres- though I have found depleted uranium I can buy in small quantities, but not in sphere form.

On a side note - if anyone knows where I can get small (1/2" diameter) Depleted Uranium spheres I would really like to get my hands n one. I been looking to see if I can find them for a monkeys fist and I have come up blank for spheres- though I have found depleted uranium I can buy in small quantities, but not in sphere form.

Can I ask why DU? I mean do you really need something that heavy? It is really easy to get lead shot or lead balls, and that should be plenty heavy. While DU is available, it is very expensive and it seams like it would be a waste to use it in a monkey's fist.

I agree with IceWolf. Lead is gonna be plenty heavy, and unless your building Tank armor, DU is probably not what you need. If it makes you feel any better, DU is just well on its way to becoming Lead anyhow, so its practically the same stuff (not really, but Lead is produced by the decay of Uranium). I just feel like DU is way more expensive than you want to go.

from an environmental standpoint, DU is still going through decay and will give off radiation greater than background - we saw this as an issue in the Navy, AND it is a toxic heavy metal that will slowly leach inthe cording that you will be handling. You DO NOT want to use DU. All of our Boatswains used either a steal ball bearing or brass when making monkey fists - no danger of leaching out lethal heavy metals (even if covered in cording).

Just a friendly environmental, health and safety message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back