What to do when waiting for a show to start

@zuixro: That is an awesome piece of software, I just installed it on all of my computers. How did you ever come across that, out of curiousity?

On topic: I like to go to the bathroom. I generally like to take the lightboard's manual with me. Like ship said, it's a good time to learn something new.

I also tend to converse some with the crew we usually have another quick talk about the previous show, go over any special things for the performance again, remind people about [x] after the show (x is equal to party, bar, persons house, strike, notes, cleaning, etc).

Last edited:
If I'm working the board, sometime's I'll look through the board's manual, chat on headset, do homework, and make sure I have all the cues in place. As for working backstage, I usually try to make sure each actor (particularly with middle school shows) has the costuming and props they need. Often times I end up searching for a prop that an actor just realized he/she is missing 2 min. before the show and desperately needs in the first scene. Sometimes I end up just making a new makeshift prop if possible, or grab something out of the storage room. (After a lot of pushing of actors to double check props well before the show starts, this dosen't occur as often.)

If I'm at the board, I usually just talk to my friends that walk by (our booth is on the same floor as the auditorium, there's no balcony) for half an hour. If I'm on a board that is just a PC with DMX software installed, I play Solitaire or Spider on it.

Well, after I've checked everything that I'm responsible for I usually play a card game with my buddies. There's one in particular that we play, a little violent but awesome. It's pretty addicting and the time passes by quickly. I've forgotten how to play though, it's been so long... I should probably find out how to play that again.

I don't suggest playing any videogames. I've found that it gets a little ridiculous to focus on it if you've got twelve people, who aren't supposed to be in the booth, surrounding you and asking you what you're playing.

That is an awesome piece of software, I just installed it on all of my computers. How did you ever come across that, out of curiousity?

*not sure who you were replying to*

A friend and I were running followspot fora show during school last year. We used our laptops for our cue sheets (with hard copies just in case:). Even when the backlight was all the way down, it still let us up, so he told me about that app. It's also great in class when the lights are down.

A quick review of my notes an ques. Last check of dimmers, amps and other electric equipment. Checking that emergency exits and fire fighting equipment is not blocked back stage and FOH. Short check and summary with the SM and show producer.

After that, get some fresh air if possible, fill my water bottle, pick up some coffe on the way and then off to the booth and stand by :)

My second post on this thread but if it's like 30 mins before open house, I'm backstage checking our movers/smoke/strobe, doing some last-minute gaffa taping, sitting down if I'm on followspot and someone's nicked my stool again, and that's about it :)

*not sure who you were replying to*

A friend and I were running followspot fora show during school last year. We used our laptops for our cue sheets (with hard copies just in case:). Even when the backlight was all the way down, it still let us up, so he told me about that app. It's also great in class when the lights are down.

Sorry, I was talking about you.

Well the sound op is usually backstage checking breakers dimmers and the amps, and then he comes back to the operation area and tests all the mics and is playing waiting music, while hes doing that I make sure the light board is all set and my area is neatly laid out with snacks and drinks (x D) and that my script is there. And also be sure I remberd to make a "bubble affect" on the curtain. I usually then go out into the lobby and great people or just walk around out there, then head to the back stage and check that everything is ready and finalize my cue to start (We have no headsets as you might have read my other posts.) (Which will end this year since we are getting headsets.) and then make my way back to the light board and chit chat with the sound op. Occasionally talking to other people I know come in.

Oh, also, calmly yet assertively, telling people not to cross over to the other side of the theatre using the back walkway where we are situated.

Also, we don't let people sit int he first two rows of seats in front of us just for wires out of the mixer kind of over hang the first, and then the second just for head room and non crowding and what not, so we just tack masking tape and tape off the rows. But my favorite thing is...when people literally climb over or under the tape, and sit down. I mean, really? x D

Last edited:
Well, this should make ship happy. As I'm the flyman for a production that runs every June and July, once my checks are all done I've been reading Jay O. Glerum's Stage Rigging Handbook - 3rd Edition.

It is my desire/ambition to become an ESTA Certified Rigger......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. I will look into both. :dance:

I picked this book up yesterday for the history:

proxy.php

Usually SM, ASM, Sound op and myself get a game of Euchre going in the booth. It never fails to entertain. It eats away at time and only requires four people and a Euchre deck of cards. It is also easy to abandon if need be.

Oh, hey, I think I was ratted out. Thanks Gaff.

Sure I spend time on CB during my show (my boss knows and approves as I know when not to as well). I also spend time reading the industry rags online or print (whichever is handy). One never knows when you will need to go on to a new position and might as well keep up with the Jonses. I have also been researching new gear to potentially replace some of our aging equipment (not just anything will fit into a multi-million dollar production, including top of the line stuff).

We preset and then take a dinner break, so all of our systems have been checked (every light, every speaker, every prop, etc.). That always gives us leeway to fix anything or prepare to do without during any given night (on occasion you end up missing a break). During our break, there are varous activities including reading, watching DVDs, checking email, or my favorite, Munchkin!

I'd much rather be sitting around doing nothing than trying to fix a problem, or worse yet, for one-days...asking what act is going first...(I REALLY hate those...)

Typically I'll be hanging out on the internet, checking all my CD's playback cues or board assignments...

I like to do a 5-minute to show channel check... not as a primary "catch a problem" but as a "self security" type thing... I like going into a show knowing that everything on my sound board is working properly...

Occasionally I'll be on headset telling the pit to "shut up". eh. whatever I feel like I guess...

Off the top of my head, there's only one show that I can think of that I've actually been bored waiting for it to start. No, wait, that was the show I was "interning" on. Since it was a completely professional show, my only job during the actual show was to make sure no one bothered anything or anyone :).

Shows I'm working on... usually since we had a small crew at my high school we had multiple jobs. On the last dance one I was: ALD, SM, flyman, and scenic. I considered myself lucky if I wasn't fixing cues in blind! And we'd do a 2-2.5 hour out call usually. Once I even had a 4 hour early call :).

Some of the more interesting ones I've done: 5 minutes out looking for a doll that will drink a bottle of water, 8 minutes out gelling lights while yelling at the production company techs to get the dimmers plugged in, trying to figure out why I hear water in the headset then finding out out TD's mic bleeds even when its off and he's in the loo, discussing how we're going to call the show, telling the dancers the fly systems brake handles are NOT costume hooks and that they can't sit their prop on an arbor (duh-- but IDK how many times I've gone to take a fly cue and had to throw costumes/props out of the way), find my missing spot ops... you get the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back