Control/Dimming What Version of NSI IF 501 do i need to convert DMX to MPX?

So your console outputs DMX512 and your dimmers want to hear MPX? It appears you need Catalog#N0501- (no suffix) of the Leviton/NSI IF 501, and NOT the IF 501-2, which would only be used with older Colortran dimmers that will only listen to CMX. See also the setting of dipswitches and jumpers as per page 4 of the User Manual.pdf.

Protocol converters are always specified as "what the console speaks" to "what the dimmers/devices" want. For explanation and history of various control protocols, see Pathway Connectivity, Lighting Control Protocols - Part 2. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I orderd the IF 105-2 and it is not working I am wondering if I got the wrong one.

You have to open up the box to expose the circuit board inside. There are jumpers that configure what the output will be. My IF105 is not with me right now, but if I remember correctly there are 2 sets of jumper pins.

Just in case you're going :"what the heck is a jumper?"
A jumper is a little plastic cover that sits over some little pins that stick up in a small group on the circuit board. Place the jumper over pins 1 and 2 and the circuit says output in AMX, place the jumper over pins 2 and 3 and the circuit says output in MMX, ect.

Kenneth Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back