What's in your budget for next year?

sdauditorium

Just sitting on the computer working on next year's budget for the auditorium I help manage. I thought it'd be fun to share what kind of equipment everyone is looking to purchase within the next year.

Also, to keep things in perspective, mention what type/level of facility you're in.

To kick it off, I work in a 600-seat auditorium at a public school district in Door County, WI.

In next year's budget:
*Crown PCC-160
*Countryman E6
*Beta 52
*2 Sennheiser CI1 instrument cables
*Beta 87
*2 2mm Duramax replacement cables for Countrymen
*2 Ultimate Support Low Profile mic stands w/ boom
*Countryman Type 85 DI
*new ShopVac
*new cordless drill set
*Apollo SmartMove Gobo Rotator
*2 PARnels
*5 36 deg. S4s
*Soundcraft GB4-40 mixer (to replace our Mackie board)
*portion for gaf tape, gel, other consumables

My budget... at all the spaces I work at.... keep the doors open...

With the financial issues finally hitting states in lost taxes, this next year is going to be extremely rough for the arts. If you can do capital investments, do, otherwise do what you can to spend as little as possible. My budgets have already been cut 20%. Many places around here are getting cuts much worse.

Gafftape. That's all we have a budget for next year.

Thank you, PA Governor Tom Corbett.

Our budget was cut by 50% 2 years ago, 20% last year, and now we get nothing except expendables. Theater isn't something a public school can afford to throw money at in these times.

^^ this is for the public school at which I work. The organization I work with in college is getting a lot of stuff about which I don't yet know, because I'm not (yet) on the exec board.

I agree with the budget issues going on. While it may change, so far I've been told by the district superintendent that our $2,500 yearly budget for equipment purchases from the district's general fund isn't in danger. That is a use-it-or-lose it type thing, where if we don't spend it by the end of the fiscal year it goes back to the school's general fund.

Another Roland Cube Monitor or simliar
Mics.
A replacement Senn e845 in the A band for an older g1 receiver we discovered.
a Shure Beta52 or simliar for string bass/ kickdrum
2 AT shotguns 8" ish
new crossovers for some JBL's that we acquired (otherwise in good condition)

4 Source4 36'
2 4 channel portable dimmer backs
4 Color scrollers (or the fancy mount in S4 kind, if money allows)
4 PARnels
replacement gel for the rep plot
3 styles of breakup patterns 4 each

DVI-D splitter
Blu-Ray Player
Media File Converter Software

Gaff/spike tape
Board tape

I'm not really tied to any specific venues but my personal plans for the next few months include selling all my sound gear and buying a few Mac Pros (one for personal use and the other couple for 4 output media servers), a new DSLR and more lenses for shooting clips and stills for my portfolio, a size M Wacom Intuos4, an Ipad 2 with LW, a pair of 10k 3DLPs, a second Chamsys MQ100Pro and an expansion wing for those, and a four output Dataton Watchout rig. Most of the venue that I work at/with aren't buying much in the way of new gear except for one which is putting about $100k into a new speaker system that has be more-or-less in the works for a while now.

Budget? What's that? :) As part of a school district, our budget just got cut by $20,000 for next year. Small change compared to the over $200,000 each of the school buildings have to cut. We are just thankful that so much of our professional and rental events are self sustaining.

Road house at a public college that is getting (if all goes well) a $315,000 grant from the city arts council. It was originally a $350,000 request that was granted, with a 10% cut this past winter due to city cuts. Still possible this won't happen

8 - Martin MAC700 Profiles
18 - S4 15-35 zooms
2 - S4 25-50 zooms
68 - S4 36's
28 - S4 26's
12 - S4 Pars (all the S4 gear rounds out my inventory as an all ETC system and gets rid of my Shakepeares - going to Dept. of Theater)
1 - Net3 4 port gateway
2 - Digico digital audio desks
Assorted other audio gear, subs, mic's, etc.

We are in a budget crunch too. Our numbers for next year are not in yet because the state has not set its budget, but it will not be pretty. I am running on 40% of the budget I had when we opened our space 7 years ago, with 64% raise in events over that same time period. Plus the expectation of the same level of performance. It is stressful. My budget for labor and staff will be hurt the most.

~Dave

Road house at a public college that is getting (if all goes well) a $315,000 grant from the city arts council. It was originally a $350,000 request that was granted, with a 10% cut this past winter due to city cuts. Still possible this won't happen

8 - Martin MAC700 Profiles
18 - S4 15-35 zooms
2 - S4 25-50 zooms
68 - S4 36's
28 - S4 26's
12 - S4 Pars (all the S4 gear rounds out my inventory as an all ETC system and gets rid of my Shakepeares - going to Dept. of Theater)
1 - Net3 4 port gateway
2 - Digico digital audio desks
Assorted other audio gear, subs, mic's, etc.

Keep us updated on that. At this point, we were happy when the state replaced all of our aging cable.

being in kansas, we have a gov that hates education and especially the arts. so money is not good. but i try to get atleast 2 new wireless systems. i have begun to buy a wireless system by MiPro. i have been happy with them. the receiver and beltpack combo is about 150-200 dollars cheaper than the shure i used to buy. for me it is nice also because the distributer is here in kansas city so i can get it within one day when i need them. we use just a 5mm lavielier that we tape on the cheekbone and theirs are about 65 dollars vs alot more for countryman or shure. so that may be something you may want to check out if you are hurting for money like us.

If I'm lucky, I'll get a grant for a full renovation of the shop, I've been sitting on these drawings for a while now. If I'm unlucky, then maybe I'll be able to get some new tools or dust filtration system, or some coal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back