Who the heck made these fixtures? quest

I have the catalogue sheets for those fixtures with the factory photmetrics so I can scan them into a pdf if anyone wants it
they are regretably photocopies

I have the catalogue sheets for those fixtures with the factory photmetrics so I can scan them into a pdf if anyone wants it
they are regretably photocopies

Good time to refresh this topic... working on something with a LECO/Grand Stage/Major connection.

Ibid.

And from above Derek "A History Project (ESTA's history of leading lights) (History PROJECT) seems to have died on the vine, the most recent reference appears to be Michael Gold Named History Project Manager. Wonder what happened to the $5000 raised? Board donates $5,000 to Industry History Project"

Did it ever get re-started? I would be interested in helping or providing info.

I'm currently working on a box spot. it's not from Kliegl, Capitol, Century, L&E or Altman. Look at the hole patterns for the venting. Completely matches what Grand Stage Lighting/LECO Lighiting & Electrics COmpany c.1947 was doing. I have now four versions of their Leko's I have in collection. Hub/Major later bought out the LECO brand from Grand at some point after it spun off from the theater supply company (Dates!!!???). So far as I know in having to re-learn all I once learned about the brand.

No memory in how I identified which model of Leko (very similar) was which amongst the three first I had. Is there a catalogue that might also show this box spot?

It's interesting in that its not like a normal box spot, even compared to a c.1934 Kliegl spread Fresnel lens version of the box spot I already have. This is way different than the Kliegl.

- Plentium/lamp base slider mount is perpendicular to what's normal, this light was not used much in almost new in no wear on focus especially what grinding in bad desigh will have gone on with such a curl to the plentium.
- Focus range is only like 7/8" and that's small range of focus based on other box spots. Could be related to the reflector/lens relationship in if otherwise it's a really loose tolerance for how that plate floats if only a single screw or stud riding in the slot for more focus range. Way too much tolerance for a single screw to keep it aligned.
-This box spot has a reflector. The reflector is more concave than a normal accessory PC reflector for the golden age of a box spot even having one - they didn't, and has a small hole in the center of the aluminum reflector. More like in being very concave, a early Fresnel reflector at 3" dia. than a Fresnel reflector from the late 50's. Most all box spots even in the Kiiegl version didn't have a reflector. None have a hole in reflector center. Some sort of box spot Fresnel.
-With the common G-30 lamp, its way too close in reflector to the lamp. Perhaps this fixture was designed for the medium screw version of a T-20 lamp? I have some but not at home.

Last photo with base/plentium with a odd fold to its slide and the G-30 lamp installed, next to a T-20 lamp are not sending in photos taken. Not great internet in fighting service night. (Important photo I will download as soon as I can, as with a photo of a screw based t-20 lamp installed.

Possibly I have a LECO or Grand Stage version of a box spot as a later concept Fresnel due to hole patterns and spread Fresnen lens, plus it having a reflector. Age also in I think its designed for a T-20 medium screw lamp. Odd that it doesn't have option for grounding though. Also it only has about 7/8" travel assuming normal box spot mountings, and too much wiggle room otherwise if not for aligning it.

Attachments

• LECO Box Spot1.jpg
    LECO Box Spot1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 157
  • LECO Box Spot2.jpg
    LECO Box Spot2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 164
  • LECO Box Spot3.jpg
    LECO Box Spot3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 161
Going back to an earlier part of the discussion RE the Major Corp., remembered I have a copy of the Major Corporation Specification Manual, printed in 1970. A note says they have been supplying lighting and control systems in America for over 50 years, so around 1920.
Deals with dimming, control systems, and distribution.... nothing really on fixtures.
Also have a re-printed article on Major's install at Chicago's Arie Crown theatre in 1971. Ross O. Major was the Chairman of the Board and Chief Engineer of Major Corp. at the time.
MajorSpec.jpeg
ArieCrown.jpeg

If possible, work with Derek to get you access to what Hub manuals I already posted to the website - that are somewhere hard to fined. I have to find them again also in seeing what John Carter sent me, if duplicate as your's might be. After that, if not a simple convert to PDF and onto these records you have if I didn't already do so, are record for the ages now. Thanks.

Research goes on...
Forgot where I got the model numbers for the 3(4) in different models of Leko’s I have from that brand, and now apparently I have a box spot from them I think given matching hole patterns. Have to contact the school to see when the Gymatorium was built.

Yesterday in general research before I found the CB post about the source of LECO as an offshoot from Grand Stage, I had found info and doccuments about a 1921 company Leco Electric Lamp Company out of NYC. Turned out to be a architectural lighting fixture company.

Tonight I went into the attic to get back out amongst other catalogues from the 50's - the 70's, the c.1955-57 John Carter sent Grand Stage Lighting catalogues. Nope, no LECO brand yet - selling all kinds of other brands. Good at least starting date for the LECO brand. Derek recommended a contact at Grand Stage that might know more, I think I have talked with him before about this LECO history. Would also be good to see if the Atheneum Theater still has Clyde’s old catalogues.... never really looked into what he had beyond getting the big Hub binder to post on line, but he worked there between the 50's and 90's and had a lot of stuff. Been a few years but hopefully they have not trashed it all - because there was a large amount of info.

Got some work done on the light. Restored the lamp socket - aluminum neutral screw part of it = interesting detail I have not seen before - normally brass as done today. Drilled out one of the grommets that fed only two asbestos wires, for a 3/8" NPT old style Altman cord grip, wired it up, grounded it. Installed two 8-32 x2" round head stainless steel screws to mount the base. They have flanged nylon spacers centering the base and shock mounting the porcelain, installed a fiber pad under the porcelain base, did some touch up paint.

To install the lamp socket, and because there was room under the slide mechanism, I did a double nut with external tooth lock washer between to lock it down. I can later cut down to length the overly long screws, once I figure out if a wing nut for focus, two screw posts or one for some reason in not able to focus sticking out of the bottom, etc. Top hinged cover knob to the light though I am remembering that I have a red thumb screw somewhere in parts knob storage... It would be much like the shutter handles on the Leko’s knobs. I wonder if perhaps this is the knob that was on another fixture somehow I got years earlier and fate that I have one now? Wonder if it fits, but still want to do more research into the top and bottom of the fixture before I decide where to go. Once I find information on a LECO box spot existing.

Since Grand Stage Lighing and Chicago Spotlight combined and moved, it’s doubtful how much records from the 50/60's from the spinoff company exist but I will ask. Could be a treasure trove perhaps - they should post. Given a good printer, its easy for a receptionist to do so... just finally dropped off a stack of John Carter’s old catalogues today for them to PDF for me. I do in the early 90's remember going Grand Stage for an interview for a job. Didn’t get the job, but did get a tour of their basement - amazing and interesting place to fabricate stuff. Than again, I grew up in Elmhurst IL. In the 80's where Hub Electric was located, and current my shop Manager was a draftsman for... and literally lived than a mile from me. As a high school theater student looking perhaps for the perfect job for me also as as a draftsman, I never even knew they existed. How that tour of the factory as a local student could have changed my life, much less relationship with the Shop Manager... my career. I could have been his assistant in drafting.... and how the years will have changed me and or how we get along today almost 18 years since he hired me at he current shop.

Anyway, attached is the photo from yesterday in theorizing that given the proximity of a G-30 lamp to it’s reflector (It does fit but is really close by like a 1/16"), it’s instead a T-20 lamp meant for the light - TBA in trying the bench focus. Busy at work today, no chance to get a T-20 incandescent screw based lamp out my storage there or pull up LCL data on both lamps. But note the curl of the plentium plate to slide focus perpendicular to a normal Fresnel or box spot. Kind of like a up-side down sled - why would you do that as opposed to a railroad like slide? Bad engineering or re-engineering of this product other than it will stick where you put it.

No, my current Shop Manager was not responsible for that... he was drafting Hub sketch designs into blue print for a job at that point for start in his own career. I during high school was working also on the other side of town less than a mile away also, as a maintinence person in doing stuff like re-seal coating parking lots and changing lamps or washing walls. Strange world.

Attachments

• LECO Box Spot4.jpg
    LECO Box Spot4.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 156
the other photos and some theories later into why the hole in the reflector and this lamp above. Lamp won't work due to it's specification = bad design of fixture.

Attachments

• LECO Box Spot5.jpg
    LECO Box Spot5.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 147
  • LECO Box Spot6.jpg
    LECO Box Spot6.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 159
Ah yes, the hole in the reflector, I remember a 4.5 inch PC spot which was relamped from the rear. The reflector was mounted via a screw to a square rod which was held in place by a captive thumb screw near the bottom. There were also beam projectors which used 2 reflectors, the large parabolic one behind the lamp and a small spherical reflector in front of the lamp, also removable for relamping. So my theory is that that reflector was a stock item.

Sorry, ship, but I think someone's mistaken. Grand Stage Company says "Serving the Midwest's Entertainment Needs since 1947." Until around the mid-80s, the company at 630 W. Lake St. was known as Grand Stage Lighting.

Side note, Grand Stage has merged with Chicago Spotlight. It is still called Grand Stage Lighting. They moved out of 630 W Lake, because that building is being returned to a historic use (it was the tavern that some of the Haymarket Riot participants hid in). Grand Stage has a small store on Grand and Ogden and a main warehouse, rental space on N. Knox in Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back