Wind instruments and residue onstage

Ric

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has a policy in place regarding bands/orchestras with brass/ wind instruments onstage and the residue they drop.
I’ve been told it’s condensation and not saliva, though I’m not convinced, but I’m more concerned about the mess that it creates on the stage, and the potential of trip hazards.
I’m considering suggesting either small buckets or mats/carpet or even their own personal towels for these musicians.
Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Ric

You could always throw down black stage towels if it really bothers you. That is going to create a bit of a headache in the amount of stuff you have to wash daily. I've never really had an issue with it. It just gets mopped up with everything else that collects on stage at the end of the night.

And it is mostly condensation. Your breath is warm and full of moister. Horns are cold... therefore the moisture collects in them. Yes, they use a "spit valve" to release the water but its just that. It is really not anything to be concerned about. If someone is really causing a large pool, throw a towel down.

Last edited:
If someone trips on that about of liquid, then I think they probably have bigger issues, then the fact that musicians are emptying their horns. It is highly unlikely to cause any issues. And, I think a towel would get quite disgusting quickly.

We just let the musicians empty their valves without any restriction or precautions. Never heard of a case of anyone slipping or getting hurt because of emptied spit valves.

When the chairs and stands are put away, we clean up by throwing a damp towel over the head of our dry mop and making a quick pass over the stage floor. It's a lot more effective at removing dirt/debris/residue than dry-mopping but goes oodles faster than actual wet-mopping.

Thanks for the responses guys.
At this stage we won't go to a formal policy, but will continue to monitor things.
It's likely that we will nicely ask particularly messy performers to take some steps to control their residue.

Thanks for the responses guys.
At this stage we won't go to a formal policy, but will continue to monitor things.
It's likely that we will nicely ask particularly messy performers to take some steps to control their residue.

Well, I have always felt it is a good night when there is no vomit onstage or in the house... and a great night when no one has spilled beer on the stage. Sometimes a bit of stage goo can not be avoided.

Since ours is primarily a concert venue, we get this a lot. We've never really had to take any action about it. The liquid is fairly slippery when fresh, but only one time in twenty-odd years have we had someone complain about slipping and that was when they were using a room right after a brass quintet rehearsal. A quiet and cordial word to the brass players took care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back