Wireless DMX

Spares are usually good things. I specify spare wire and, because its so cheap, have taken to a fully wired extra network run and tap at nearly anyplace I have one or more already. Just makes sense and likely more rather than fewer network devices moving forward. Likewise, I usually specify at least one extra transmitter and receiver when depending principally or to a large degree on wireless. Part of it is the now or never funding of many institutions, knowing if they drop or run over one, they may have difficult getting a replacement.

Now, even in venues with primarily wired data, I try to get in at least one transmitter and maybe two receivers in the inventory of portable gear. Just seems like good to have and not a significant cost.

Playing devils advocate:

If you’re running multiple spare cables per bundle, how reliable is the copper in first place? Seems to defeat the argument against wireless data transmission.

In my 3 decades of experience, 99.44%+. So's my driving record, but we do still require people to carry auto insurance. :)

I dunno, Bill, as many network types as run over Cat5/6 these days, or can be adapted to it, I think if I were you I'd just be speccing TIA structured cabling for all installs...

For me I use a combo of wired and wireless. My wireless is cheep ebay stuff (I am in community theatre after all) and I do have a few issues from time to time. Most of my problems are ID-TEN-T faults caused by me. I use them for portable set or prop pieces. It suits us at the moment. I would like to get some more robust gear but the minister for war and finance will not really allow it.
Regards
Geoff

I Myself and a friend are a big fan of the ShowBaby DMX. He has 8, that we take with us when we do camp shows or work with high schools on their musicals. Most of the facilities that we freelance at, do not have DMX anywhere but from the console to the dimmer rack. The ShowBaby's have always worked great for us and it's cake to drop them on an electric, park a dimmer on/ or a fixed outlet , and power it up. I use 3 in my space, 1 as transmitter, 1 receiver for the Grid, 1 Receiver for the ground.

I've see a lot of posting about RC4, and if my venue ever needs a step up for inventory increase I'd definitely be looking at their stuff.

[EDIT] I have "definitely" fixed "Defiantly".
and There/Their is what I get for not reading back what I write :-/

Last edited:
Seems like directional antennas could solve a lot of issues with wireless DMX. I noticed that it's difficult or impossible to obtain the approved directional antennas for the Show Baby's. Does anybody know if the receivers send any data back to the transmitters? (for example: signal strength, frequencies in use) If not, then there wouldn't be any issues with putting any kind of directional antennas on the receivers only, and using the approved higher-gain monopole for the transmitter which is very easy to purchase. Yagi's would have to be aligned for the polarization of the monopole.

Last edited:
Seems like directional antennas could solve a lot of issues with wireless DMX. I noticed that it's difficult or impossible to obtain the approved directional antennas for the Show Baby's. Does anybody know if the receivers send any data back to the transmitters? (for example: signal strength, frequencies in use) If not, then there wouldn't be any issues with putting any kind of directional antennas on the receivers only, and using the approved higher-gain monopole for the transmitter which is very easy to purchase. Yagi's would have to be aligned for the polarization of the monopole.

When we do troubleshooting of wireless the problem is almost always pertaining to setup of the system. Be that frequency, antenna placement/choice, or power setting. I recent memory the only time I have had problems with wireless traffic was when a room had 3 industrial grade AP's sending at full power at once. We were luckily able to chat with IT and they took two of them offline.

Antennas help a lot, more on the transmit side than the receive side. There is data going back to the transmitter if you are using RDM.

As for antenna stock, we don't hold very many of the Yagi's in stock since we don't get much of a call for them. I do have 2 of the 10 dBi and 4 of the 14 dBi. For the 8 dBi panel I have 17 in stock, those are used a lot more.

Thanks, that's a lot of useful info. The issue I need to solve happened in another state, and I was not there. I think it will work out when I get there and try a few things.

Thanks, that's a lot of useful info. The issue I need to solve happened in another state, and I was not there. I think it will work out when I get there and try a few things.

Sounds good. If you need some more over the phone technical support you can call us at 201-549-1160.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back