Wireless lighting through Iphone

Yunshook

I've recently started doing lights for a live band and have found myself confined to the side of the stage with low visibility. I'm looking to improve their system by making the lights controllable wirelessly through an Iphone. Unfortunately, my experience with the subject is still minimal and I'm using their equipment.

The current set up is fairly simple- we have a 2006 Elation DMX operator hooked into six Stage Ape RGB 192 led Panel Strobes down the same line. This particular set up makes it difficult to check for problems during the live performances and I'm looking to invest in some changes.

I've looked up several options to make the whole process wireless and I'd like to check their validity. I've pieced together two possibilities, though I'm fairly unsure about whether they would even work.

The first would use an app such as LightingPad on an iphone connected to a computer, then connect it via usb into an open ENTTEC USB and finally into my lights?

The second option, assuming that I understand it properly would be to use the Iphone connected wirelessly through a router, then through an ethernet cable into an ENTTEC ODE, and then into my lights.

Each of these options would require Art-net capability, and I am unsure of how or where that pieces in. If I could get any direction on the subject, I would appreciate it greatly.

I use Luminair on an iPad for wireless control. It's not the greatest interface to busk on, but if you make enough cues you can get by. It will be a lot more functional than the DMX Operator you're using now (I have one of those too). However, if you're looking at controlling a variety of different fixtures and want to do more than just play back preset scenes then you're going to want something a little more robust. As far as hardware for that rig, I have the iPad connecting to a router, then Cat5 to the Enntec ODE and DMX out to the fixtures.

If you were willing to go with a computer based setup there are far more options with more flexibility. A lot of folks here, including myself, will recommend Chamsys MagicQ. There's a steep learning curve but once you get past that it's a fully functional console and will allow you to stack cues, record by channel, and other things that a "real" console does. Hardware for that would be PC to dmx dongle (I use the Chamsys one) to wireless DMX transmitter to receiver to lights. At least, that's what I do when I'm using the MagicQ rig. Of course, you'd need a place to put a laptop and a power source would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back