wireless mic suggestions?

mrb

Looking for suggestions for wireless mics. I am going to need between 4 and 8 systems, some handheld, some lav, maybe one or two guitar transmitter. These will sometimes be used with an antenna combiner and remote antennas, and other times will be used individually. They will be used in a variety of settings.

I am leaning toward the AKG WMS 450 series. Does anyone have any feedback for me on these?

I really liked the AKG DMS 700, but at $2500+ per receiver/mic theyre too pricey.

Also looked at sennheiser EW 300 G3. I like how the receivers can be networked with a PC, and the entire system can be set up from the pc instead of having to deal with the controls on each receiver. The downsides were a bit higher cost than the AKG, and I dont like the antenna thing sticking out of the bottom of the handhelds.

I appreciate any help.
thanks

With a wide range of undefined applications, no budget identified, no mic preferences, etc., what you'll get for responses are likely to be what people personally like for their use, which may not be the same as yours.

How do you plan on accommodating the with or without antenna and power distribution configurations and the individual or multiple unit use? How do you plan on mounting the receivers and related equipment? Constantly remounting receivers and changing antennas is probably not the best thing in terms of reliability and durability.

Would these 4-8 wireless mics always be the only wireless mics in use or might they routinely be used in conjunction with other wireless mic systems?

I'm not sure the PC control would be a significant factor since you mention the systems may often be used individually. The little stub antenna bothering you combined with no apparent consideration for the mic itself suggests you might be more concerned with appearance than performance. What are your priorities?

With a wide range of undefined applications, no budget identified, no mic preferences, etc., what you'll get for responses are likely to be what people personally like for their use, which may not be the same as yours.

How do you plan on accommodating the with or without antenna and power distribution configurations and the individual or multiple unit use? How do you plan on mounting the receivers and related equipment? Constantly remounting receivers and changing antennas is probably not the best thing in terms of reliability and durability.

Would these 4-8 wireless mics always be the only wireless mics in use or might they routinely be used in conjunction with other wireless mic systems?

I'm not sure the PC control would be a significant factor since you mention the systems may often be used individually. The little stub antenna bothering you combined with no apparent consideration for the mic itself suggests you might be more concerned with appearance than performance. What are your priorities?

You bring up some excellent points. The budget is in the $500 to $1,000 range per mic/receiver.

The receivers would be mounted in a rack with antenna and power distribution. Most of the use would be in this configuration. If removing a receiver for individual use became more than a couple times a month occurrance, I would buy additional receivers. Most of the time these would be the only wireless mics in use, but I have to consider the possibility of interferance from other RF sources at the events and nearby.

In that price range you will want to consider the Shure SLX and the Sennheiser G2 (assuming you can still find sufficient stock to meet your needs).
So far, the Shures have worked well for our high school theater, but only time can tell about durability.

I just discovered another prerequisite. The handheld mics must have a sliding switch to mute them. This eliminates the sure SLX since it has a mute button which if held in too long turns the mic power off. I need to check the sennheisers to see what they have.

Im really leaning toward the AKG. Anything bad about them?

Have you looked at Shure's ULX systems?

The handhelds have a sliding switch, but no mute function. Its on or off with a 3 second delay.

I've never used AKG gear at all really, so I can't vouch for their stuff.

Are you sure you want an on/off switch? I usually buy mics without those intentionally. Somehow performers are always drawn to those, especially people not used to using mics, and inevitably they leave them off when trying to speak onstage. Muting from the board is often preferable.

I wish Sure had a cover over the buttons on the SLX as it is.

--You can purchase a sleeve for it.

--I don't like handhelds (or any transmitters) with a standby/mute switch. Too much confusion when you cannot/do not wish to mute from the board.

--On/Off or LOCKED ON (haha actors...its actor proof...). Those are my preferences.

I have four of the Shure SLX mics and the mute/off switch isn't a problem. I use them often with non-professionals and they have never messed one up yet.

I would recommend the Sennheiser units, mainly for their good RF performance. I don't know if they have a mute switch in particular, but almost all mics can be turned on and off without any kind of popping noise nowadays.

I have not worked with AKG before, but I can say that they are generally not considered to be top-tier wireless. Generally speaking, Sennheiser, Shure, and Lectrosonics fill out the top tier.

Have you read through my wireless FAQ and guide on my website? This background may help you as well.

We have run a set of Shure SLX in a church setting for 5 years. 2 units are used 20hrs a week and the other 2 less. We have packs and handhelds for each receiver and have never had an issue. We have had to buy 3 new screens for the handhekds as they get bent from rough handling. We have upgraded to ULX for the last 2 units and there are some nice features such as battery level on the receiver, etc.

We're running 8 Shure UHF-R and 6 UHF mics and have been generally very happy with both. The UHF are discontinued, but they're sure earning their money with the 700MHz trade-in program.

I run Audio Technica in my theatre. Not by choice, purchased before I started. They have not held up at all- stay away from them. Usually we rent and get Shure. They are OK, but as rental stock, they get abused a lot. Look for metal bodies and metal threads on the HH.
I am looking at going AKG digital, the DMS700 system you mentioned. They are pricey, but the units are great. I had a demo of the unit sent to me and by far the best I have used. I was also looking at the 4000/4500 series as the versatility is great. Senheiser is used by most touring companies that come through here, although they are expensive as well.

my 2 cents

The Shures mentioned work pretty good for the money that we have here at my theatre. I've had Extensive working with the Sennhieser ones as well. They are pricer but have IMO nicer features for finding and susing out problems with elements/RF/and cross talk.

the shure's, as well can be turned on (then LOCKED) meaning you have to unlock them before you can mute them from the handheld it self. :)

I don't know of many high end wireless with separate mute/power switches nowadays anyhow...(maybe lower end stuff has this feature...)

Anyways, with the newer squelch techniques and such, it kinda eliminates the amateur problems with having two switches...

And if you NEED a mute (as opposed to power, which I frankly don't understand...), you can always just use the power. It doesn't take long for people to get the idea of "wait 3 seconds" to talk....

Mrb,
About two years ago, I bought 4 AKG WMS400 handheld systems with accompanying power supply, antenna distro and a 4 antenna setup for our 2000 seat concert hall. These are not a lot different than their newer model the 450. I love the recharging unit and that we can just drop them in on our way out the door. The reception is great, and the sound quality is surprisingly good. I would say each mike averages 20 hours a week. I have had one issue with one of the receiver units not displaying its diversity status correctly(it still works fine). And just recently after 2 years and i don't know how much abuse, one of the hh transmitters is having gain issues. as you can see, i am pretty pleased with these mics and I would buy the 450s if i was stuck in that price range again. However, your need to have the performer use the switch as a mute causes problems with AKG's setup on these particular models. The mute switch is the same as the power switch, it is just placed in the center position for mute. It is very easy(even for me) to slip past mute and turn off the mic. Thankfully AKG has turned this problem into a 3 second annoyance instead of a speaker and amp popping problem by auto muting the system until the mic is booted. But that means 3 full seconds of silence every time the presenter or performer slips too far on the switch and goes to turn it on when they are ready for it.
I really like the AKGs but if you need a functioning fumble switch make sure to get a unit with separate switches so you can tape the power switch if it isn't already concealed.

My only experience with affordable units are Shure and Sennheiser.

Unless it's just a talking head, I don't care for the sound of the Shures compared to a wired mic with the same capsule.

I prefer the sound of Sennheiser capsules to those from Shure.

Hence we went Sennheiser - the 100G3. I told the Senny software I wanted to run 16 units, and it spit out a list of frequencies. I programmed the receivers, transferred the info to the transmitters (via the push of a few buttons), and off we went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back