Control/Dimming Wireless Router on ShowNet

Sharkey

Hello! I'm a High School student who works on the two yearly plays we host. We have a Strand Lighting system, controlled via ShowNet.

We understand that this uses a sort of network to communicate. Would it be possible to use a wireless router in between the controller and dimmers to use a low-level control software (Would need to find one) to control lights wirelessly via laptop? We can't really aim for the "PocketPallet" by Strand, but we think the laptop idea is quite possible.

What are the protocols that the CAT5 wires transfer, and could they be used as a standard IP Address network? Would a standard router work?

We currently have Preset Palette II (96 Slider Edition).

Thanks for your input in advanced! :p

Last edited:
Shownet is a completly standard based ethernet lighting network. It runs on top of standard ethernet 802.3 standards which means yes, you can use it with off the shelf networking gear such as a wireless router. I do this all the time. There are very few control software that works with it outside of strand. There is a project out there that converts shownet to artnet which opens up a bit more options. However, Chamsys Magic Q does work with shownet. My default Chamsys setup includes a computer, a wireless router, and 2 shownet nodes. It works great and I have used it for countless shows.

Keep in mind you will have to set whatever computer you use to the same IP address as your console. This will probably have to be done manually.

Hello Footer,

Thanks for your quick reply.
So, I'm guessing the Ethernet from my controller board goes directly to the dimmers, or to the ShowNet nodes (The Strand Blue boxes with DMX in and out on the front). Where would I attach my wireless router to? I can easily set the IP addresses, I'm familiar with networking. I have easy access to the port in the wall from the stage to my controller, could I intercept it from there?

Again, thanks for your replies, I'm new to this setup, and a lot has to be learned (Since apparently nobody in my school -knows- how this is set up)

Last edited:
You should have an ethernet switch somewhere in your space. Odds are it is a 3com of some kind, the Strand guys really like 3com products. If you don't or you can not find one, you can use an off the shelf router and use it to not only "intercept" the signal but give you a few more ports in the system. Go looking for the switch, odds are it is near your dimmers or near your control console. There will also be power injectors there to supply power to the nodes throughout your space.

It should look like this:

proxy.php

Just plug your router into any of those ports. Don't use the "wan/internet" port on the router. Connect instead to one of the other 4 ports on the back of your router. Also, connect to the router and disable DHCP OR set the DHCP start address to the same 192.168.X.X as your console. It will make life much easier for everyone.

Also, I would want to enable WPA/WPE security on the network, correct? Don't want anyone connecting to the network to attempt anything.

I'll look around for a switch, if I can't find it i'll use the router as a switch. I'm sure the switch is in our dimmer racks, I just haven't noticed it yet.

As for the software, what are my options? Where can I find Shownet -> Artnet or any software that can control it? That's my only limiting factor at the moment. What have you used, if anything?

Once again, thank you.
-Spencer

<rant>

Just my personal opinion, but I NEVER would put anything over WiFi that I wanted done in a timely manner (as some refer to -- "show critical data"). WiFi is great when it works, and terrible when it doesn't, and has no built-in guarantee of timely functionality. If I can ever (I mean ever) run a wire to accomplish something in the theatre, I'm going to do it. Wireless will never win big points with me.

</rant>

That said, wireless security would be important to have on a network like this. Even though the likelihood of someone actually connecting and screwing things up is very small, security is typically better than none. It just really depends on the software and what you end up doing on this network.

Finally, be sure to check for neighboring WiFi signals. If there's all kinds of stations around (or 1 really strong one), you're absolutely going to run into issues. WiFi channels are extremely important.

<rant>

Just my personal opinion, but I NEVER would put anything over WiFi that I wanted done in a timely manner (as some refer to -- "show critical data"). WiFi is great when it works, and terrible when it doesn't, and has no built-in guarantee of timely functionality. If I can ever (I mean ever) run a wire to accomplish something in the theatre, I'm going to do it. Wireless will never win big points with me.

</rant>

That said, wireless security would be important to have on a network like this. Even though the likelihood of someone actually connecting and screwing things up is very small, security is typically better than none. It just really depends on the software and what you end up doing on this network.

Finally, be sure to check for neighboring WiFi signals. If there's all kinds of stations around (or 1 really strong one), you're absolutely going to run into issues. WiFi channels are extremely important.

Anytime wireless is used in a lighting system it should be used for remote control/focus tools and not to run the show off of, just like what the OP wants.

To the OP, Chamsys MagicQ is what I use with my shownet nodes when not using a Strand console. Also, do lock down the AP. Even though there is little someone could do without the proper software, it never hurts.

To HansH:
Yes, I want to be able to move around the stage with my laptop to control lights. Makes life easier rather than moving between booth and lights (A decent walk) every time I need to adjust something.
Especially since the lighting crew consists of 2-3 showing up a day.
Of course, we will program our Cues and looks from the main control board, and run it from there too. I just would like the netbook to focus and adjust lights.

Thank you for your guys' help, I will tinker with this tomorrow at rehearsals. I'll post my successes/further questions (if any).

EDIT:
Thinking about it further, can I download PalletOS "Offline" editor and load a show file on that? I think it'd use the standard configured output (Network connection) so long as I have the right IP set.

Last edited:
Pallet Offline is just that, an offline editor. If you go the Chamsys route, it will work but it will NOT control your console. It will control your dimmers and it might be possible to have the console read what is going on but your not working with the same patch, groups, cues, etc. The offline software will not work as a remote unless you have a strand blessed dongle (that you have to purchase). This used to be called X-connect, I don't know what it is called in the new strand world.

Yes, after looking back, I did misread your original post, Sharkey. Wireless technology is great for doing all that sort of work while focusing, doing notes, etc... I apologize if my comments sounded harsh. I particularly misunderstood the section about putting the router in between the control console and dimmers -- that's what misled me at first.

Anyway, best of luck in your production!

That's quite alright, HansH

And, to Footer.
That's exactly what I need. I don't need to surf through my cue's or looks, as that is all done on the console.

All I need to do is be able to turn on/off/dim certian channels. I will try to see if I can connect to the nodes via the Chamsys program. I've installed it, and it's a bit confusing, but I will get past that.

Any tips on how to get this Chamsys setup with my ShowNet nodes?
I also saw that the ShowNet nodes have a built-in web interface I could look at if I opened a web browser.

While the MagicQ software is great, I wouldn't use it in this application, as I feel it is over-complicating things, by introducing another and foreign console into the system. Sharkey, I suggest asking your question on the Strand-dev forum. At OpenPalette you'll find apps for both iPhone and Droid, and I believe web-based apps that will work as an RFU with your laptop.

(Posted simultaneously with the above.)

Hello! I'm a High School student who works on the two yearly plays we host. We have a Strand Lighting system, controlled via ShowNet.

We understand that this uses a sort of network to communicate. Would it be possible to use a wireless router in between the controller and dimmers to use a low-level control software (Would need to find one) to control lights wirelessly via laptop? We can't really aim for the "PocketPallet" by Strand, but we think the laptop idea is quite possible.

What are the protocols that the CAT5 wires transfer, and could they be used as a standard IP Address network? Would a standard router work?

We currently have Preset Palette II (96 Slider Edition).

Thanks for your input in advanced! :p

It would help if I knew which Strand console you had but the short answer is...yes you can do this. If the console is some form of Palette, then the remote software is free to use (just download the Palette offline editor at Strand Lighting - A Philips Group Brand)

Email me directly if you have any questions about it.

Bobby Harrell
Strand Lighting
[email protected]

To tie up a few ends from various posts above, yes, Bobby is correct, the palette ole running in remote mode will work. It is true that for the ole to actually output anything, you need a palette channel key (x-connect was for the 300-500 series) if you are running in remote mode, it is not actually outputing to your dimmers, it is talking directly to your preset palette II, which is authorized to talk to your dimmers.
The user built Iphone apps I have seen work the same way, they talk to your console and control it rather than the dimmers.
It was said somewhere above to set the laptop and the console to the same IP address, this is almost correct, they just need to be in the same range. Default range for Strand is 192.168.0.xxx, but you can just look at your console to see what it is set to. However, when you tell the ole to connect to the palette, you will have to tell it the consoles IP address so it knows what to connect to. Feel free to email Bobby or myself (or both) if you have questions.

Wow!
Thank you all for your replies.
I got it to work today after a lot of work.

I found the switch, it was located in a rack in a control room that's door was covered with random props and scenery.

I plugged my router in, and found that the console's IP was 192.168.0.50.
I set the router to DCHP enabled, and made the starting address to 192.168.0.51-254.

I then downloaded the Palette Offline Editor package on strand's website onto my laptop, and ran the "Remote Palette" on it. Connected to my console's IP and WHALLA! It worked!

Now, I tried the iPod app and it doesn't seem to be working on my ipod. I think it's just my version, though. No big deal.

Let this be known for anyone wanting to do this and doesn't know how.

Great to hear! The pallete is a much more open console then other manufactures, its great to hear that people are actually using that. To me, its a big selling point for strand. It really cuts down the on extra stuff you have to buy.

I find controlling the console's GUI from an iPhone via VNC equally impressive to the uninitiated. This kind of stuff is why I like Strand, as someone else mentioned :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back