Wireless Video System

Airplay is a great option - refurbished Apple TV's can be scored for $80 routinely from Apple's online store. Or you can get something purpose-built: Kanex ATV Pro I need to get one of those and add it to my bag of tricks!

As for outputting from your computer, there are applications like Air Parrot. Air Parrot has both Mac and Windows versions: AirParrot - AirPlay your Mac or PC's screen to AppleTV

I've used it on the Mac and it works better than one who does AV and understands wifi and networking thinks it would! There probably are other similar applications out there - Airplay support is becoming pretty popular. Yamaha's recent AV receivers have it built in now, for example.

I've used it on the Mac and it works better than one who does AV and understands wifi and networking thinks it would! There probably are other similar applications out there - Airplay support is becoming pretty popular. Yamaha's recent AV receivers have it built in now, for example.
I have a University Client that wanted to support wireless video from iPads and we went with the approach of AirPlay and Apple TV. It has been so problematic, especially in terms of getting it to work on their network, that I don't think it will be included in future projects. Another example of something that was really developed for your living room and that may work fine there but may not be as accpetable for many commercial applications.

I have a University Client that wanted to support wireless video from iPads and we went with the approach of AirPlay and Apple TV. It has been so problematic, especially in terms of getting it to work on their network, that I don't think it will be included in future projects.

Yup - that is the biggest issue. Thankfully, if you have a newer device, it's easy to get around. From the Kanex FAQ section:

Do I need a wifi connection for this to work?
AirPlay Mirroring requires Apple TV and iOS device to be on the same network. If you have the new iPad 3rd generation or iPhone 4S it has a personal hotspot that Apple TV can join which will form a network of the 2 devices.

When I'm visiting somewhere, that's how I have it pre-configured on my ATV and iPad or iPhone. The travel ATV I have is permanently set to my ad-hoc wifi network, and my iPhone and iPad have it as just another network configuration. I pick it in my settings and I'm up and running.

Another example of something that was really developed for your living room and that may work fine there but may not be as accpetable for many commercial applications.

People said similar things about the computer, television and many other technologies that are not commonplace in business or education. It's early, but the trends are there. Intel has their My Wifi PAN stuff, but good support for new technology like that typically doesn't materialize until there are millions of devices pushing a use for it - Airplay is going to be one of those technologies that drives this whole area to finally get cleaned up.

People said similar things about the computer, television and many other technologies that are not commonplace in business or education. It's early, but the trends are there. Intel has their My Wifi PAN stuff, but good support for new technology like that typically doesn't materialize until there are millions of devices pushing a use for it - Airplay is going to be one of those technologies that drives this whole area to finally get cleaned up.
Maybe my recollection is different than yours but didn't many of those technologies actually come from commercial and professional applications only to be adapted to consumer use? I know the ENIAC and UNIVAC were 29 and 24 years respectively before the Altair 8800 and more than that before a practical personal computer. And the Ethernet, GUI with a pointing device, laser printer, WYSIWYG text editing, object-oriented programming, bitmap graphics and even the personal computer concept were all results of Xerox PARC looking to develop products and technologies for business applications.

That is the way things were for many years where business, research and government applications were what justified the investment in researching and developing new technologies. Then people using those technologies and products at work wanted to apply them at home and companies started seeing the potential profit in also adapting them for consumer use. As the consumer electronic market grew that changed and the potential profit started to be more in the consumer applications. That meant companies developing technologies and products specifically for the consumer market and only adapting them to professional and commercial applications if the related markets and profits justified doing so.

I think another significant change occurred when the developers of some of media technology and related products also became involved in the media content. Now they had a vested interest in developing technology and products that supported and protected their content which often included proprietary content delivery and protection methods.

The net result of all this is products and technologies that were developed for the consumer market without any consideration for or plan to adapt them to other applications. In fact, some of the related developers and manufacturers probably intentionally avoid being the next Xerox PARC or diluting their consumer brand names and thus limit the potential of their technologies and products being applied to other applications.

Creating market consumer demand is a very strong tool in creating associated markets but it can only go so far before the practical considerations of those other applications intervene. Those considerations may be details such as connector types or more encompassing issues such as the ability to be applied in larger scale systems and commercial environments or even the simple fact that rapid obsolescence that may be acceptable in consumer electronics is not viable for most commercial and professional applications. And I think we are getting to where those considerations becoming a factor for many new media technologies. I am encountering an increasing number of commercial and professional end users that have been through the process of trying to integrate consumer technologies and experienced the related challenges. I also think that HDMI/DisplayPort/Thunderbolt and HDCP woke the professional and commercial AV industry up to the fact that things have changed and they can no longer be purely reactive to what goes on in consumer technology.

So I'm not sure that some consumer technologies will have the impact on professional/commercial applications that some believe. In fact I'm actually seeing a bit of a backlash from both professionals and end users against trying to integrate some consumer technologies and products into markets and applications for which they were not intended.

The Hotspot approaxch is fine until you are in a corporate or institutional environment that prohibits personal WiFi and has Rogue AP detection constantly running on their wireless network.
Take for instance the ban on personal WiFi at the London Olympics and the enforcement thereof...

Yup - that is the biggest issue. Thankfully, if you have a newer device, it's easy to get around. From the Kanex FAQ section:

Do I need a wifi connection for this to work?
AirPlay Mirroring requires Apple TV and iOS device to be on the same network. If you have the new iPad 3rd generation or iPhone 4S it has a personal hotspot that Apple TV can join which will form a network of the 2 devices.

When I'm visiting somewhere, that's how I have it pre-configured on my ATV and iPad or iPhone. The travel ATV I have is permanently set to my ad-hoc wifi network, and my iPhone and iPad have it as just another network configuration. I pick it in my settings and I'm up and running.
I'm with Chris, that may work well in some situations but is not viable in others and is likely not a practical solution for venues to address presenters walking in with their own iPads, tablets, etc.

I'm very curious as to how the Kanex device linked is legal. The similar HD Fury devices skirt the legal issues by stating that they are specifically intended to be used at the display inputs in order to convert VGA inputs into HDMI inputs and that they are not intended to be used to convert HDCP protected HDMI content into accessible high resolution analog signals. However, that seems to be exactly what the Kanex device is claiming is its purpose. They also seem to suggest it can be used to bypass the Analog Sunset for Blu-Ray players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back