With make-up and costumes for all...

I am supposed to be doing the make-up for Jesus Christ Superstar. I am not a make-up artist. What are the basics that I need to buy and what do I need to do to get our 81 man cast made up?

In general, each cast member should have their own make up kit. As a make up designer, its your job to guide each cast member on how they should apply their makeup, not to do it for them. Outside of specialized makeup, its the actors responsibility to do what they need to do to get onto stage. You should have a basic makeup kit along with all the actors should also have a basic makeup kit.

Ben Nye makes a kit that has everything you need for a multitude of different stage conditions and design types. They run around 50 bucks. They last a long time and have industry standard stuff. Every actor should own one. Push your cast to buy a kit. Not only will it be good for the future, but it will also be cleaner. Bacteria can be spread very easily in makeup, even if clean sponges are used.

Virtual Tones

For basic corrective makeup, I wouldn't bother with a kit. Each actor will need a pot of base, some lip/cheek color, eyeliner, sponges and a powder puff. Everyone can share powder and a powder brush. I would buy good base (Ben Nye, Mehron) at your local theatre supply house and get the rest at Walmart.
I'm assuming that your actors are all amateurs; professional actors should have their own kits. I say "should" because I did a show once where one of the older actors would wait until everyone was almost finished with makeup. He would then put his cigar box down on the counter and put on his makeup. Nobody thought anything of it because the dressing room was very crowded. It was late into the run before anyone realized that his cigar box had no bottom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back