Working Internationally

Hey there,

I'm a graduate student of lighting design and have an interest in working internationally. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to looking for opportunities. I will be going on residency my third year and would love to find a place overseas to do so. Any thoughts?

Thanks. :)

I've heard good things about the Prague theater scene. There is probably going to be a language barrier for you if you try anywhere outside of the UK though. Good luck, I know I would love to be able to see the world while working in theater!

Ive been to Prague before and it certainly has a lot of theatre and ballet. One thing you might want to think of is do you want to travel internationally or live in another country for a period of time? If you want to travel I would say you should look at international Production companies, the biggest I can think of is PRG; or you can work for cruise ships though really you only travel when your a light op or some other tech worker. Another thing you can look at would be light instrument manufacturers, you won't be a lighting designer but you will have the opportunity to work in the industry, in what field particularly is up to you. If you want to live in another country I do think there is the ability intern for theatre houses around the world, though language will be an issue of course.

I hope some of this gives you ideas on what to do. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back