Working with Sloping Electrics

cw4u

At my church, we have three electrics.

One on the left, one in the center (choir and baptistry only) and one on the right. 16 circuits on both the left and right with 5 in the center.

My main issue is that the slope of the electrics creates some very harsh angles to work with. That and the architecture of the building more or less determines where I can actually focus a fixture. I usually have to rely heavily on side lighting from those electrics to balance out the levels as their is no center truss that runs parallel with the stage.

I have to light the whole stage, steps, and the altar down below. We currently have 16 Source 4 26 degree units, 12 Source 4 19 degree units, and about 14 Source 4 Pars.

Any ideas on how to create an effective plot for this?

proxy.php

Well, not to state the obvious, but have you rotated the barrels on the S4s so the shutters are parallel to the stage and steps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To understand, the side positions are too far to the side, at a bad angle and there are not enough circuits in the center.

Is there room in the center to squeeze/fit add'l fixtures ? and if so, can you run cabling from the side positions (on a temporary basis of course) from the side coves to the center ?.

Also maximize your coverage by not using the 19 deg. S4's in the center and maybe use instead the 26 degrees or the S4 Pars to provide a basic wash as a starting point. You can also experiment with side arms such as a City Theatrical Safer Side Arm to get the units out and away from the architecture. City Theatrical

The obvious permanent fix is to add a FOH truss with additional fixtures, dimmers, etc... costs as bunch though.

Haha. I have!

The main issue I have is keeping the levels consistent as you pan across the stage. Since we broadcast on TV, it's pretty noticeable when it's not right.

I usually have to use two lights per focus location but it eats up fixtures quickly.

Last edited:
I don't understand exactly where your lighting positions are. Are they hidden by the architecture as shown here?markup.jpg

Usually, one puts the fixtures shooting the farthest at the top of a position, and the near-shot fixtures nearer the bottom. Just guessing as to scale, but I'm thinking some 36° or even 50° units would be useful. You could buy extra lens tubes, or just buy the lenses.

I don't understand exactly where your lighting positions are. Are they hidden by the architecture as shown here?View attachment 5650

Usually, one puts the fixtures shooting the farthest at the top of a position, and the near-shot fixtures nearer the bottom. Just guessing as to scale, but I'm thinking some 36° or even 50° units would be useful. You could buy extra lens tubes, or just buy the lenses.

You're correct on the left and right positions. The center position is almost correct. Subtract the two beams running down the middle and you've got it. That position is about 5 feet off of the beginning of the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back