Design Wow effect

poolman78

Okay, so I was asked to provide a wow effect for a finale in a musical. I have a limited budget, limited resources on hand. I can program a spectacular chase to the rythem of the music, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on wow! type effects. Open to any suggestions, just trying to rack my brain publicly. Thanks to wnyone who wants to add their 5 cents!!

A little more info might be helpful. What show? What kind of equipment is available? What kind of budget?

-Tim

Tim,

I have 2 icues, 9 scrollers, 2 gobo rotators, and the rest are an assortmant of typical lekos and pars. I have a 24/48 ETC so only 96 channels to work with. I can rent a few toys, but nothing crazy. Sure a few mac 700s and I can go wild, but not that budget. It is for the finaly of Hairspray.

That's not a bad place to start. I don't remember the end of Haispray, so I'm not sure what is appropriate, but throwing all of that into an ERS could give you some "wow". Some ballyhoos and gobo rotating can be fun and then add some well placed color changes and you have a party! :) Or, spread out the equipment? Do you have two wide angle ERSs, like wide enough to cover the whole set with the two of them? If so, prjecting the rotators on the set with some scrollers could be an idea. Then, cut through that with the IQs? If you could afford some DMX irises, they would be a good investment. Pulsing them in the IQ units could add some more movement and then you also have two very versatile refocusable specials for use throughout the rest of the show.

Hope that spurs the creative juices for you,
-Tim

I've had many a production number where the final cue was scrollers running through their colors. I'm sure you know this, but to expand on what Tim said, doing things on the set/cyc is going to have the biggest impact on what the audience perceives.

Oh, and haze or smoke always punches things up.

How about a couple of streamer launchers shooting out over the audience on the last note? I'm not all that familiar with Hairspray (The show. I'm well acquainted with the product. ;) ) but, assuming it's the typical musical Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! ending, this can be quite "wow-ing" if it fits and is done well. We did this for Seussical this past year, and got quite a good reaction.

Heres the real question. How many units have you already assigned to things, and how many do you have left? Its worth remembering that while a few MAC 700s can do awesome stuff, you can do a lot of the same effects with clever focusing of multiple ellipsoidals. One of my favorite effects that is fairly easy to do is have one set of say, 19º S4s and another set of 50º S4s, same number, both hung as close to on top of eachother as possible. Focus the wide one more US of the narrower one, and you have a cool motion effect in haze. Gel one in CTO and the other in CTB, and you have an even more striking effect, especially when using both at the same time. If you have the channels and units, adding another set of narrow ERSs in a close by hang but these crossing eachother in some fun and cool looking way add even more punch. Flash as appropriate. Chase them, etc. Also keep in mind the entire time that while a bunch of chasing PARs, etc look cool, you do want to save the real punch for the last note of the song.

Thanks for all the suggestions. All are great. I do have a limited number of channels for it is an older 24/48 etc with 96 channels. I am also looking at working with the set designer to incorperated lights hidden in the set that will chase during the final number. So the audience will have been looking at this seemingly static set and then all of a suddon..they come to life with light. I like the 19 and 50 degree sugestion and may play with that. Anything other thoughts are welcome. Thanks again to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back