WPB FL LD.....kinda

ant035

Hello everyone, been looking at this site on and off for a while now and decided it was time to get more involved. Ive been reading a lot of helpful article's about how to get more into what i use to do only a couple of years ago. I might as well tell my story in this thread and ask for any opinions people are willing to give.

I use to be the LD for a nightclub in south Florida for about 10 years. The club closed a couple of years ago and since then ive been missing it alot. Im looking for a career lately to have something i can love to do that will support me financially and this is one of the few things i think can do that. When i use to LD i always saw it as a whatever job and took it for granted, even though everyone told me i had a thing for it and should pursue it. I started at 16 and use to, well still do, love music and understood it really well. Helped by the fact i was also mixing at this club with the resident dj. Most of my shows were done live because i didnt know how to time code. It was more of a pre created pattern that i would manipulate to match the music being played. I was always trying new things out and seeing what the lights could do.

We used a WholeHog2 counsle with 4 data flashers, 12 robe lights(not sure model), 6 cybers, 4 parkhands, and used video mixing so i would also operate a V5(i think) to manipulate the videos to match the lighting and mood of music. The problem is i spent so much time on learning to utilize being creative within this world that i neglected EVERYTHING i should know to actually be in that world. I have no idea how to time code or pre program light shows, i dont know much about any other consoles or LD programs or even the top market lighting for today, i couldnt tell you how to hook a DMX up or put together the things to make a lighting show even possible.

Im starting fullsail soon since i get a florida residency scholarship which will help cover alot of the cost. i hear mixed reviews but feel it is the best way for me to utilize these next couple of years to immerse myself into this field; not only from school but from learning online. It will give me a place to try anything. My main goal in this life would be to work for LD&T or a company the puts on shows of that magnitude, but i understand it takes alot of work. Im not sure what else i should need to know about this career feild and look forward to reading up more and learning from you all, thankyou

... 4 parkhands, ...
Did you mean PAR can s? %&^* auto-correct!

What is LD&T? Can you define "shows of that magnitude"? UltraFest or other EDC-type festival? It sounds like you're on an appropriate path. Many of these shows are done by the same people who do rock tours. I wouldn't worry too much about synching lights to music via LTC or MIDI: you'd lose the spontaneity, and don't really require something exactly precisely repeatable over multiple performances. Better to just busk, particularly if you don't know the playlist in advance; or even if you do, figure one hour of programming time for one minute of performance. If you know Hog2, you should not have much trouble jumping to grandMA2 or especially ChamSys MagicQ. The nice thing about lighting for "disco" or "dance music" is that there are no rules, other than to match the beat. The theatrical "Five Functions of Lighting" don't really apply.

Welcome to the Booth. Ask more questions and we'll try to provide more answers.

(Gosh I wish our wiki auto-link feature was working.)

Did you mean PAR can s? %&^* auto-correct!

What is LD&T? Can you define "shows of that magnitude"? UltraFest or other EDC-type festival? It sounds like you're on an appropriate path. Many of these shows are done by the same people who do rock tours. I wouldn't worry too much about synching lights to music via LTC or MIDI: you'd lose the spontaneity, and don't really require something exactly precisely repeatable over multiple performances. Better to just busk, particularly if you don't know the playlist in advance; or even if you do, figure one hour of programming time for one minute of performance. If you know Hog2, you should not have much trouble jumping to grandMA2 or especially ChamSys MagicQ. The nice thing about lighting for "disco" or "dance music" is that there are no rules, other than to match the beat. The theatrical "Five Functions of Lighting" don't really apply.

Welcome to the Booth. Ask more questions and we'll try to provide more answers.

(Gosh I wish our wiki auto-link feature was working.)

ID&T is the company that runs sensation white and the other big events like such, so ya EDC type of shows. Its ID&T dono why I put L. I do look forward to learning all I can, even though it might not be applicable to what I am wanting to do with it. Thanks for the response and its great to be aboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back