Wybron CXI Scrollers

Hi All,

I'm having some VERY frustrating issues with my current rig at load-in with the Wybron CXI scrollers. (NOT the IT model...) Rig Details:

(4) RAM II 24-way PSUs running 6-9 units per in 3Ch mode. All my head-feet was calculated prior to load-in and I'm not running more than 600 head-feet per cable run.

I have control over 13 of my 24 fixtures from the console. It is not a patching issue because if I readdress the working units I still have control.
I'm receiving "Front scroll too short.. or back scroll too short" errors on individual units. I have opened them up, re-tensioned strings, manually wound them and whenever I power them back up, they inconsistently still error out and I won't have control. Sometimes they will initialize properly and once I mix to a color, the string will error out afterwards. ...

Is there a way to bypass this error? So that my scrollers are usable? Or if anybody has any solution to the issue. I'm at the end of my 12-hour load-in day right now and start another 8 hour day at 7A tomorrow in hopes of having the whole rig working by then... Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

EDIT: As much as I appreciate snarky, nonsensical comments.. please don't tell me how awful these fixtures are, how old they are and how dated the technology is. I'm aware of all of this and would much rather being using my in-house LED fixtures but this tour spec'd them with no subs accepted.

Are these a rental? I found last summer that I had this same problem as the shop had recently restrung them all, and that they weren't manufactured within precision tolerances. It wasn't this bad, but I ended up swapping out about 5 CXI's. Slightly infuriating since I only had 8 in the rig.

There isn't anyway to "bypass" the error. You must either fix the issue or swap out the units. Try restringing the offending rollers following the instructions in the user manual. That or replace. There's not much else you can do.

-Tim

Yeah, rental CXIs are notorious for that. It often comes up if a previous show has run their lamps hot through a deep color for a long time, as the string will start to wrinkle and compress. If they're rental, try calling the shop and getting a big batch of replacements, or at the very least have them send you some scrolls that you can load yourself. If they're not rental, then you may have bigger problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back