Wybron Forerunners to an ETC express board

I'm attempting to setup a forerunner color scroller system with my ETC express lightboard.

I saw a previous thread from 2009, that talked about a person having a similar problem (that is, they just aren't working) and they didn't go into much detail.

I'm setting them up to the second output universe. I saw on that other thread, that one person said this output had to be enabled on the board. That is my first issue, I cannot find how to 'enable' it. My dimmer # is 1024, so it seems it already is, but is there an extra step I'm missing?

I'm going from that 513-1024 out, to the power source in. Then going out to the color scrollers, for the purposes of this thread, lets just say 1. (although I am setting up a total of 6)

What I've done is to set the address to 1, which would correspond to 513 on the board. So I'm patching a channel with dimmer 513, to correspond to the scroller with address 1.

I'm getting no response from the scroller at all. There are 2 lights on the bottom, one is supposed to show that power is connected, and the other is supposed to show a proper dmx connection with proper address. The power light is on a constant red, while the other light slowly blinks a dim green.

Any suggestions? This is for a show coming up, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Under Setup, on the Express, select Option 2, and make sure that the second output port actually starts at dimmer 513. I've never had any trouble with Forerunner + Express before. I have used them both as dimmers and with a custom personality (1 channel, 8 bit, LTP, Independent) so that people who like to ride the grand master won't scroll the color by accident.

I've used wybron scrollers all the time on express boards. Id suggest taking down the psu and a scroller and plugging them into universe 1 and just try to get the scroller to work. Adress it to 1 and patch dimmer 1 to ch 1. Make sure the patch isn't profiled in any way. If bringing up ch 1 to 50% causes the scroller to move, it's likely a patching issue or dmx cable issue. If it doesn't move then there's a couple possibilities. 1: bad dmx cable, 2: bad psu, 3 bad scroller.

Use a diff 5pin dmx and test again. If it still won't work, use a diff 4pin dmx. Still nada then use a different scroller. If not then, its likely the psu. If the scroller works then the first scroller sucks.

I've used wybron scrollers all the time on express boards. Id suggest taking down the psu and a scroller and plugging them into universe 1 and just try to get the scroller to work. Adress it to 1 and patch dimmer 1 to ch 1. Make sure the patch isn't profiled in any way. If bringing up ch 1 to 50% causes the scroller to move, it's likely a patching issue or dmx cable issue. If it doesn't move then there's a couple possibilities. 1: bad dmx cable, 2: bad psu, 3 bad scroller.

Use a diff 5pin dmx and test again. If it still won't work, use a diff 4pin dmx. Still nada then use a different scroller. If not then, its likely the psu. If the scroller works then the first scroller sucks.

Try this, then get back to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back